This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

“That thing right there is Lil Dicky” 

https://youtu.be/Rr3sDrgqFVg 

This past week, FXX and Hulu released the first two episodes of the new show, Dave, based on the life of Lil Dicky. Dave Burd, who is Lil Dicky, created and stars in the sitcom that is fictional, but seems pretty real as you’re watching. Lil Dicky came to fame IRL from Youtube releasing music with satirical lyrics but really good beats like the songs: Molly, Pillow Talking, Freaky Friday, and Earth. On Dave, it is the same, but in the show Dave Burd is just at the start of his careers struggling to collaborate with other rappers and get as much clout as possible. 

Dave Burd plays himself, with other rappers like YG playing themselves as well, but the rest of cast are fictional careers in Lil Dicky’s life. The best character, other than Lil Dicky, is Elz who is a sound producer and friend to Dave. Elz is played by Odd Future’s (and one of Kendel Jenner’s close friends), Taco, and as the best friends to Dave has some of the funniest lines in the pilot. Macklemore is also set to be in an episode in the future. 

One of the best scenes is the pilot is the conversation between Dave and his parents about taking his bar mitzvah money out of the bank. The parents are the stereotype of they have no idea what’s going on with their son’s career, but their lines are hilarious, like questioning each other on what YG’s name actually is. 

Then the episode ends with what you would expect from a show about a rapper, which is a great song. Lil Dicky raps without much of a beat but still with the lyrics, makes a song that made me want to listen to it five more times after watching. So far only the theme song called, “Hi, I’m Dave ” is on streaming services, but I will definitely be looking out for more releases. 

The show is not all about Lil Dicky’s career though, but about his relationships and life in general. You are getting the relatable and funny sitcom content with Lil Dicky style, which just makes it better. His comedy is sarcastic and just subtle. His delivery of his lines can make you laugh, just like in his lyrics. 

I will definitely keep watching the show, and episodes come out on FXX every Wednesday and on Hulu the day after it airs.