Wellness > Sex + Relationships

One Rule To Determine if Your Relationship Can Last Long Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

How do you know if or when you’ve found “the one”? I’m not even exaggerating when I say that if you Google this question, billions of results will flood your screen. Reading through all of these articles can certainly be interesting, but also very exhausting. What can be trusted? As someone who is in a long-term relationship, I’ve decided to share the one rule of dating that I deem to be the most important, and that is the four seasons rule.

I strongly believe that in order to determine if your relationship can last long-term, you must first experience all four seasons with your significant other. Now, of course the quantity of time is not as important as the quality of time you spend with someone you love. Yet, it can’t be ignored that each season can bring differences and potential challenges to overcome. If a couple can get through 365 unique days in a year, what’s to say they can’t endure those annual influences all over again?

Let me pose a few examples. In the winter comes cold weather and the holiday season. How are you and your partner able to cope with being trapped indoors? Who was visited on the holidays? How did the gift exchange turn out? Now, think about summer. Are you and your partner able to overcome the warm weather which often brings more time outside and more social gatherings? What’s it like to be off from school? How does your significant other spend their free time? Fall and spring provide similar chances to experience other unique aspects of dating.

I wish that before I started dating someone, I had realized that each season could alter the dynamics of our relationship. As a result of my own personal experiences, I know that the first year of dating someone can be exhilarating and unpredictable. Most importantly, I have learned that after being with someone through all four seasons, you really know the person a whole lot more and have a better idea of what your future could look like together.

Lauren Nielson

Endicott '25

Hello! My name is Lauren and I am the Editor in Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Endicott College. I hope you enjoy reading my articles!