disability pride?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
disability pride?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
THE BROMANCE BOOK CLUB/SICK KIDS IN LOVE/KNOT MY TYPE/GET A LIFE, CHLOE BROWN/ THE KISS QUOTIENT

My Very Specific BookTok Book Ratings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

The popularity of BookTok has caused teens worldwide to begin their reading journeys, and I myself have fallen victim to this phenomenon. 

Book recommendations have taken over the “For You” pages of TikTok users everywhere, causing BookTok to be created and labeled as a whole category of TikTok. BookTok has caused users who have never had any interest in reading to pick up a book and dive into the worlds of romance, fantasy, mystery, and more. 

Not only have TikTok users been affected by the creation of BookTok, but many authors have also been affected. For example, authors such as Colleen Hoover and Taylor Jenkins Reid have blown up in popularity. I am here to break down my ratings of the most sought-after books and authors on TikTok with my very specific book ratings. 

1. Ugly Love

Rating: 4.3 / 5

Ugly Love, one of Colleen Hoover’s most famous books, immediately shot up towards the top of my ratings list. It sat as my number one favorite book for a while. The way the book immediately drew me in from the first chapter made me want to keep reading. The tension between Miles and Tate was top tier!! If you love forbidden romance books, I highly highly recommend giving Ugly Love a try!

2. My Year of Rest and Relaxation

Rating: 6 / 5

The number of controversial opinions I have heard regarding this book is unreal. You either love it or you hate it and there is no in-between. After seeing this book appear on my Pinterest feed hundreds of times, my sister’s roommate recommended it to me and that finally pushed me over the edge to buy it. Thank God I did! This book has been at the top of my ratings list for almost a year. Seriously, don’t take me saying that lightly, as after I finish a book I’m immediately convinced it’s the best book ever, but so far nothing has surpassed this brilliant book by Ottessa Moshfegh.

3. The Summer I Turned Pretty

Rating: 3.7 / 5

The Summer I Turned Pretty is a good book if you’re looking for a light, summery read. It’s the perfect book to read at the beach on a hot July day. The only reason the rating isn’t higher is because it felt a little too childish for me, but it was still a very fun and light-hearted book.

4. The Summer of Broken Rules

Rating: 4.3 / 5

The Summer of Broken Rules is the definition of August. This book gives off summer-ending, warm nights, and family vacation vibes. This was such a fun and unique book compared to anything else I’ve read. Although it’s classified as a young adult romance, I think that the concept of the book was so unique that it doesn’t feel like a basic or cliché romance book. The author really puts you in the story, making you feel like you’re really there. My only problem with this book was the ending, as I feel like it was slightly childish and a little dramatic. Other than that, the book gave off immaculate vibes and I definitely recommend it.

5. All Your Perfects

Rating: 1.8 / 5

This book is definitely one of my more controversial opinions. I’m a little scared to share my true feelings on this book, as it was definitely not one of my favorites. I was very very close to DNFing (did not finish) this book, but I pushed through since I heard so many good things about it and I was trying to keep my hopes up that I would enjoy the ending but it really never got me. This was really sad since I love Colleen Hoover so much, but I just really couldn’t get into this book, as it just felt so repetitive and boring to me.

6. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Rating: 2.9 / 5

Here’s another very controversial opinion. I’m not sure if I just wasn’t in the right mind space or didn’t pay attention enough, but this book just felt a little boring to me if I’m being honest. It was definitely a good book, don’t get me wrong, but it just wasn’t one of my favorites. I’m pretty sure it was because I had to write an essay on it for school, so I am definitely going to try to re-read this book to give it a second chance.

7. Archer’s Voice

Rating: 2.7 / 5

This book is one I haven’t heard too much about, but the author is pretty well known. This book was good. I think the concept of it was good and the spice was definitely something else, but I just couldn’t get into the characters. I think Bree was a good character, but there was just something about Archer that gave off weird vibes. I think I would’ve liked the book if it was a little shorter because it did feel like it dragged out a little bit, but it wasn’t a bad book, just not my favorite.

8. The Unhoneymooners

Rating: 4.8 / 5

This was a book that was recommended to me by Steph Bohrer, a booktuber. I haven’t seen much about it on BookTok but I think it gives off the same vibes as some of the others I have discussed. This was such a light-hearted and fun book; it had me hooked from the first chapter. It was a pretty basic enemies to lovers book but something about it was just so loveable. My only issue with it was the ending, but other than that I really enjoyed this book!

9. Love and Other Words

Rating: 5 / 5

Love and Other Words is such a cozy book. It takes place in a cabin and it revolves around reading, which automatically ensures that most people who read this book will have something in common with it. I really loved the setup of the book in the sense that it switches between past and present. This book was super unique and unlike a lot of things I’ve read, making it one of my favorites!

10. Punk 57

Preview in new tab

Rating: 3.7 / 5

Punk 57 was a book that I read about 2 years ago, yet I still remember almost every detail. This book was so memorable and I loved the tension between Misha and Ryen. I think the concept of the book was really creative, but my problem with it was that the spice made it more appealing to older people, whereas the concept of the book I would classify into the category similar to The Summer I Turned Pretty, which is for younger readers. I think although it was a good book, the cheerleader and punk band boy was very Wattpad-like. I would recommend this book to someone in high school, but if you’re any older, I don’t think it’s something I would recommend.

Ashley Smith

Endicott '26

I'm Ashley!! I'm a freshman liberal studies major. I love harry styles, gilmore girls, and reading! :)