Mom’s Famous Gingersnap Pumpkin Pie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Mom’s Famous Gingersnap Pumpkin Pie

Every thanksgiving there is one thing I always look forward to and that is my mom’s “famous” pumpkin pie. Each year my sister and I ask her to make extra pies just for us, and will eat it for every meal until it’s all gone. The sweet cinnamon and crunchy gingersnap crust just melts in your mouth. I swear my whole family fights to get a piece when it’s put out on the dinner table and we all eat it in 10 seconds or less. It is my absolute favorite, and I would recommend it to  anyone to make for their thanksgiving or just as a fun fall treat!

Ingredients: 

1 ¾ cups gingersnap crumbs (about 43 cookies, finely crushed)

2 ½ tablespoons reduced-calorie stick margarine, melted

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Cooking Spray

1 ½ cups fresh or canned pumpkin puree

¾ cup packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large white eggs

1 large egg

1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 325

2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Press into the bottom and up the sides of 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325 for 5 minutes; cool on a wire rack.

3. Combine pumpkin and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour into prepared crust. Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).