If Disney Villians were Halloween Creatures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Allie Hastings

Disney villains are known for being, well, villainous – and as the season of Halloween has come upon us, I thought it’d be fun to compile a list of creatures associated with the celebrated day and match their personality to one Disney antagonist. Here is my list of seven evil Disney/Halloween pairings —

Witch – Evil Queen (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)

For obvious reasons, I chose the witch to be the Evil Queen from Snow White – even for those who have never seen the movie, it is very well-known that there is a scene in which the Queen physically morphs into an old haggard woman, then later bewitches Snow White into taking a bite from a poisonous apple.  Witches and the Evil Queen’s true nature are both evil, ugly, and harness some seriously dark magic.

Ghost/Grim Reaper – Hades (Hercules)

Hades – the villain from Hercules – is the god of the underworld, which technically makes him a spirit AND the lord of the dead.  So, pretty perfect combination here. Want to be a ghostly grim reaper for Halloween? Be Hades – no one fits the description better!  

Vampire/Devil – Cruella de Vil (One Hundred and One Dalmatians)

Appearance wise, Cruella de Vil has the look of a vampire – She’s extremely pale, dons a black dress with red gloves, and always seems as if she wants to rip someone’s head off. Her namesake is also a combination of the words “cruel” and “devil” – not to mention, her main goal throughout the entirety of the film is to steal the Radcliffe’s dalmatians and transform their spots into a warm fur coat.  

I’d say that constitutes as pretty devilish behavior.

Zombie – Mother Gothel (Tangled)

If you haven’t seen the movie Tangled, I’d advise you to skip to the next one on the list because this is a bit of a spoiler, so if you’re still reading this – don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Anyway, at the end of the film, it is finally revealed that Mother Gothel is not Rapunzel’s real mom, she’s actually a very old woman who’s been stealing the power of a magic flower from Rapunzel’s hair to stay young and healthy, which means she should be dead, but she’s not.

So, Zombie.

Werewolf – Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)

There are several comparisons to be made here:

Werewolves have serious strength – In Beauty and the Beast, Gaston boastfully sings about how eating five dozen eggs helps him ‘stay the size of a barge.’

Werewolves usually travel in packs – Lefou and other villagers always follow Gaston’s lead.

Werewolves hunt better at night – Gaston only goes to look for the Beast when it’s dark out.

And there’s a bonus – in the movie, Belle calls Gaston “the real monster” – hence, Gaston is a ferocious werewolf.

Skeleton – Dr. Facilier (The Princess and the Frog)

The villain from Princess and the Frog – Dr. Facilier – is not as well-known as other Disney antagonists, but he’s a loveable guy nonetheless. Also referred to as the ‘shadow man,’ he is able to shapeshift into many different things – including a skeleton! Technically, he’s the perfect combination of ghost, witch, and skeleton, but for the purpose of this list I chose the last option, because his hat is decorated with a skull and crossbones! And his form is also very slim and lanky like that of this Halloween creature.

Goblin – Captain Hook (Peter Pan)  

Last but not least, we have the infamous Captain Hook as a goblin.  These green creatures are described in folklore as being more mischievous than evil, insanely greedy for treasures like gold and jewelry, and tricksters who love to mess with others.  Sound familiar? Throughout the film, Captain Hook tries unsuccessfully to get revenge on Peter Pan – always planning schemes he can use to capture his victims – and he is also noticeably the least ‘evil’ of the Disney villains because of his vulnerable nature.  In addition, Hook is a pirate, so of course he would take interest in looking for hidden treasure.

Hope you enjoyed my list! Happy Halloween ?

Allie Hastings

Endicott '22

Allie Hastings is an English/Creative Writing major at Endicott College in Beverly, MA. Check out her poetry & short story collection "Querencia" on Barnes & Noble and Amazon!
Eva Graef

Endicott