Wellness

How to (best) Avoid Sickness in Cold Season at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

It’s almost inevitable that you will get sick at college especially during your freshman year. Tight quarters and roommate(s) can enhance your chances of catching a cold. Being sick in college is lousy and it can add onto the stress of school and being away from home.

Some tips that worked for me to avoid sickness (to the best of my ability) was drinking plenty of water. Keeping hydrated helps with several things, not just avoiding illness.

Another tip is to take daily vitamins, whether that is a multivitamin or Vitamin C, anything can help to give you a shield to battle sickness. (talk about bringing a ton of medicine to move in and having a box to keep all of the medicine in).

Keeping a consistent sleep schedule is also a key way to avoid any slow downs throughout the school year. Mostly overlooked, getting plenty of sleep at college is one of the number one things that kept me healthy, on top of my school work, and in a better mood throughout the months being there. 

Good luck with keeping healthy and staying strong throughout the school year. It’s not always easy but getting sick is just another thing that comes with going to college. Hopefully some of these tips are helpful to you and can get you as prepared as possible!

Abby Hudson

Endicott '26

Hi! My name is Abby and I’m a sophomore at Endicott College majoring in Educational Studies with a focus in Elementary Education. I love reading, hanging out with friends and family, and being outside!