Career > Work

How Internships Can Change Your View on the World and Your Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

At Endicott every student is required to complete at least two 120 hour internships and one that is a semester long. Last summer I completed my first 120 hour internship and this winter I completed my second. I must say my views on the world have completely changed.

My first internship was working with a social worker here in Massachusetts. This internship showed me a lot about myself and how I found I didn’t want to work with adults and elders. I had enjoyed the work of a social worker, just not the age group I was with. I would never have known that about myself if I hadn’t done this first internship.

My second internship was working with a school guidance counselor at the elementary level. This I loved. I had always worked with kids in high school as a swim instructor and I realized how much I missed that during my previous internship and during the school year. I love getting to listen to kids and hearing what they find interesting and troubling and helping them through it if possible. I had never seen myself going back to a public school setting, but I think that may be where I belong, which again I wouldn’t have known without completing this internship.

Compared to friends at other colleges who do not have this requirement, it seems that I may be a bit more prepared and secure for my future career. That doesn’t mean without any experience you won’t like your field of choice but knowing that I have tried it and liked it is comforting. I don’t have that stress others do about what I’ll do when I get out of undergrad.

I also feel that my view of the world as a whole has changed. Before my internships, I thought there was now way things like extreme poverty and domestic violence would be so close to my home, but I was very wrong. My second internship was just a few towns over from my hometown, and there were so many issues among other things that I never thought I would see only 15 minutes away. I now see my world in a more diverse and caring way as you never really know what other people can be going through until you see first hand the awful situations people could be dealing with.

Hi! I'm Alexandra but everyone calls me Lexi! I'm a psychology major with a minor in creative art therapy! I am this years Senior Editor for HC Endicott and I could not be more excited! I am a huge reader (my articles show that lol) and lover of Harry Styles and all things music! Enjoy!