This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

When I was in elementary school, I hated my freckles. My grandmother used to take me to the beach each weekend and every time we went, she lathered pounds of sunscreen all over my face. As she did it, she told me that if I ever forgot to do this, my face would be covered in more of those imperfections. My grandma didn’t mean to hurt my feelings, and I know that she was just doing what she believed to be best. However, my face was already covered in hundreds of little brown spots that nobody else had.

I remember going into middle school and buying foundation (which was really just a slightly-too-dark-for-my-face shade of BB Cream) that I used to cover up my freckles. I wore that stuff every day for all of my middle to high school years (I did, however, get better products).

I don’t know when this hatred of my own faced changed, but eventually putting on a full face of makeup became too much work. Once I stopped, people began to compliment the sun spots on my face. I found this really interesting because I had always been taught that they were imperfections and imperfections were always wrong. I realized however, that even imperfections can be viewed differently under different perspectives.

I began to embrace these imperfections and eventually I learned to love my freckles. So, if you have freckles and have decided that you hate them, you should change your mind. I love my freckles and if I saw you in passing, I would love yours too.

Emily Crain

Endicott '24

English Secondary Education Major Gender Studies Minor