This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

How to Get Organized this Semester

The start of a new semester is exciting. You have all new classes and professors to look forward to, and you get to start fresh and leave last semester behind you. However, the first few weeks of a new semester can be overwhelming as you get used to your new schedule and responsibilities. Here a few simple tips that will help you stay organized this semester.

Get a planner.

You may not think you need one, but trust me, you do! College is full of assignments, appointments, and meetings that can sneak up on you if you don’t write them down. Get yourself a planner and use it to keep track of important assignments, to-do lists, and deadlines so that you don’t fall behind in your coursework. It doesn’t have to be super fancy, unless you want it to be, so check out Target or Amazon for some cheap options that fit your preferences. Planners come in all different layouts, so choose one that works for you!

Keep track of your grades.

We’ve all been there – you forget to check some of your grades from time to time, and at the end of the semester you realize you’ve got to ace your final to get the grade you want. Try keeping track of your grades in a spreadsheet or in a word document so you can see your progress throughout the semester. You can use your syllabus to help you. This tip may not work for everyone, but I think it’s helpful because you can always see exactly where you’re at. I lay out all the major assignments, tests, and papers, add in their due dates, and list my grades once I receive them. Bonus: it also shows you exactly how many big assignments you have left in the semester!

Make a study schedule.

Finding enough time to take care of all your responsibilities is one of the most difficult aspects of college life. Try making a study schedule and assigning tasks for yourself during your free time. For example, if you have a two-hour break between classes, schedule half of it to work on your homework. Scheduling your study time is a little more manageable than just checking tasks off of a never-ending to-do list, and it helps you stay on top of things without getting super stressed out.

There are many different ways to stay organized, but I hope these three tips were helpful for you.

What’s your favorite organization hack? Let me know in the comments below, and enjoy the start of your new semester!

Taylor Wildrick

Endicott '20

Taylor Wildrick is a Marketing Communications major at Endicott College in Beverly, Ma. She loves teaching herself new hobbies that she'll probably never get around to finishing and reading marketing textbooks. She also loves all things fashion, beauty, and pop culture.
Eva Graef

Endicott