kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Bedtime is the perfect time to unwind from all the stressors of the day. It’s very easy to forget we need self-care when we have so many other things to worry about. Picking just one way of taking care of yourself before bed and making it a priority will help you relax and get a better night’s sleep. Here are some self-care tips that you can try in order to prioritize yourself before you fall asleep! 

Making Your Environment Cozy will Help Put Your Mind at Ease 

Whether it be essential oils, string lights, or lighting a candle, these simple little things can make a big difference in your comfort level. Some essentials oils for sleep are lavender, sage, or valerian. String lights are such a cute alternative to a lamp, and putting those on with a candle lit with help put your mind at ease before bed!  My personal favorite candle is anything vanilla cupcake scented. A super cool addition to a room at night is a galaxy projector which you can find here!

Drink Tea or Hot Cocoa 

Drinking tea before bed is proven to help you relax. Chamomile tea is known for its sleepytime effect. If you’re like me, and you’re not a huge fan of tea, try drinking hot cocoa instead! Although it is not known for making people sleepy, it is tasty and always helps warm me down before bed during those cooler months. Pair tea or hot cocoa with a peaceful movie to prepare yourself to rest. 

Watch a Funny Show or Listen to Calming Music

Although being on your phone or laptop is typically not recommended by professionals for helping one fall asleep, it is no secret that we all do it. Watching a funny show or movie before bed actually helps me calm down and forget about all the pressures from my day. Some of my go to shows before bed are Friends, The Office, and New Girl. Try not to watch any intense binge watching shows before you sleep because you may stay up all night watching them and then feel super tired and unmotivated the next day. If you’re more of a listen to music before bed kind of girl then there’s great calming playlists on Apple Music, Spotify, and Youtube that will be sure to relax you into a good night’s sleep! 

Write in a Journal or Read from a Book

Writing in a journal is a perfect way to let out all your thoughts and feelings from the day without actually telling someone. Journaling has been proven to help people sleep better because it can redirect your mind. You could even journal your thoughts into the notes app on your phone if you don’t feel like writing them down!  Reading a book is an alternative to journaling because it still allows you to stimulate your mind but it offers an escape to your thoughts and worries. If you don’t know what to write about, you can look up journaling prompts on Pinterest!

Take a Bath and do a Face Mask

Who doesn’t love a spa night? Spa nights are the perfect indulgence for your skin and your well being. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but just a nice hot bath with a bath bomb and a robe can make a world of a difference in relaxation. After your bath throw on a face mask to help your skin rejuvenate before bed. While you have your face mask on, it is a good idea to set out your clothes for the next day so that you can sleep in those extra few minutes the next morning! Face masks are also the perfect time to squeeze in that YouTube video you’ve wanted to watch all day! 

I hope you can try out at least one of these five self-care tips to destress before bed. It is important to remember to never feel guilty for prioritizing your wellbeing. One self-care quote that I always keep in mind is: “Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.”- Eleanor Brown. Sweet Dreams!  

Hi! My name is Liv. I am a marketing communications/advertising major. I love fashion and music. I also love spending time at the beach!
Endicott College HC Campus Correspondent, double majoring in International Business and Marketing!