freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How College Made My Breakup Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

How College Made My Breakup Easier

Breakups suck, no matter what. I recently just ended my long-term relationship and though it wasn’t easy, it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Though some breakups are well over due, like mine seemed to be, others are not, so my situation could be different than many others.

The reason I think college made my breakup easier is because I had much more support on campus than anywhere I’ve ever been. My friends here don’t know everything about my past relationship, like those from home do. They don’t have that expectation that me and my ex were perfect for each other, and that we were meant to be. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate all of my friends at home, however they were often times biased when I asked for advice which made it hard for me to understand my own emotions. At school, I am given completely unbiased advice based on what I tell them, not based on the “history.” 

You are also physically apart at school, unless of course you’re attending the same school, which allows you to get your space. If you’re like me and you were still with your high school boyfriend when entering college, you know how this makes it easier. There’s no chance of accidentally running into your ex at school, possibly when you’re home for a weekend, but at least you won’t have that awkward task of trying to avoid each other. 

Being physically apart also helped because it allowed me to realize that I can be away and be okay. The first few weeks of school were terrible for me because I constantly wanted to be home, but then all of a sudden I didn’t anymore. I think that helped me realize that after we ended things I will still be okay. I didn’t feel like I had to see him, and I have so many people here on campus that I can spend time with and do fun things. 

My breakup was ended in person, because I feel like that is important. Nothing bad happened to cause it either which I think is what allowed us to end on good terms. I knew it was what I needed to do, even if I didn’t necessarily want to (but that’s a whole different story). Of course, it was still sad and it’ll be strange for a little while, but I feel like being at school prepared me mentally for it. I was prepared because of being on campus allowed me to separate myself from the situation. 

Bridget LaSelva

Endicott '21

Education Major at Endicott College
Eva Graef

Endicott