The Good Girls Revolt: A Story Every Woman in Writing Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

By: Jessie Donahue

The entirety of feminism has made some major strides within the past century, and the advancements of women’s careers is a key aspect. As I enter the Her Campus community, I want to recognize how fortunate I am to not endure the professional struggles women faced only a few decades ago and the roads they paved for us, specifically female journalists. Therefore I turn my attention to the first substantial battle cry of women writers that everyone should hear: “The Good Girls Revolt”.

On March 16th, 1970, Lynn Povich was one of the 46 female employees at Newsweek Magazine who filed a legal complaint against the establishment for systematic discrimination with regard to the hiring and promotion of women. Women at Newsweek were unable to cultivate their careers, were constantly sexually harassed, and not given the platform to speak that their hard work entitled them to.  Through a series of negotiations, the case resulted in Newsweek allowing women to take on writing and management positions that they were previously restricted from.

In her autobiographical book. Povich integrates stories from various women at Newsweek about their experiences during this event. She illustrates both the legal and social injustices the women had to face and the impact the case continues to have on working women. It’s a must read for any female journalist as a look into how things were so different fifty years ago for women with the same passions as me.

Povich’s story was resonated so strongly with people that it was also adapted into a television show on Amazon, which I strongly recommend for anyone to watch. The story of Newsweek Magazine women served as a riot call for career women of the time, and continues to be an inspirational reminder to fight for what your passionate about today.

Jessie Donahue

Endicott '22

Jessie Donahue is an English major and journalism minor at Endicott College. She loves a good story, whether it comes from a book, movie or anything in between. When she's not writing HerCampus articles, she's binging her favorite tv shows, looking up the newest clean beauty products, or exploring new places with the people she loves.
Eva Graef

Endicott