nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

FML: A Collection of Embarrassing Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

If you’re feeling stressed out of your mind or overwhelmed with school, friends, or anything else that could cause those unwanted feelings, trust me, I feel you. We’ve reached the point in the school year when classes start to speed up. Midterms are right around the corner and the pages in our planners are filled to the max. I think it’s important to make sure that we take a break everyday and do something, or in this case, read something, that brings us joy. In the past few months, I’ve found myself doing some super embarrassing things. I decided to share a few of the most embarrassing ones, and hopefully they can make you smile and brighten your day.

The Spoon Situation

This is the most recent one, it happened just last week actually. When the weather gets cold, one of my favorite things to get in the dining hall is a nice warm drink. I’m not a fan of coffee, but tea with breakfast or hot chocolate as dessert are two of my favorite drinks. Anyways, last week, I was making tea with my friends in the dining hall and I go to grab a spoon, and my friend goes, “Uhhh…Katherine, why are you taking a spoon from there?”. I just looked at her and replied, “What do you mean?”. All of the sudden she burst into laughter and says, “That’s the USED spoon container! The clean spoons are the ones in the back!” So basically it turns out that for all of freshman year and for the beginning of sophomore, I’ve been the gross weirdo in the dining hall taking spoons from the “used” spoon container.

The Yoga Surprise

I have been going to this little yoga studio in my town for years now. Before I went to school, me and my step sister would go to hot yoga every Sunday. However, on this one particular weekend, I couldn’t make the Sunday class so I decided to try a class on Saturday. It was a super last minute decision. I went on the website, chose a random class, signed up, and was on my way. The yoga studio is very hidden, so when I got there, I was surprised that I saw a familiar face. I’m a camp counselor, and the mother of one of my campers was there. I had her son in my group for two summers so we had gotten to know each other pretty well. Since I was there alone, I decided to sit next to her in class. The first five minutes of class were going great, until the I hear the instructor say, “Ladies, you may remove your tops”. I froze. I had no idea what to do. Suddenly, all of the women around me started to take off their sports bras. I obviously wasn’t hiding my shock too well and the camper’s mother could tell I was freaking out. She looked over at me and whispered, “Honey, you knew this is a naked yoga class, right?” By this point, I think everyone in the class knew the answer to that question. NO. No I did not realize that this was a naked yoga class. I looked at the mom and awkwardly giggled and said “Uhh no, I had no idea. I think I actually have to go.” And on that note, I packed up my mat and left as quickly as I could, trying my best not to make eye contact with any of the naked women on my way out.

Internship Stalker

This summer, I completed my internship at the Central Massachusetts Collaborative. It was such an amazing experience. A big part of why I loved it so much was because of the people who I worked with. They were all so nice and welcoming. My favorite person there, was my supervisor. She was super cool and one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. One night I was texting one of my friends about her, and my friend asked me what she looked like. So, naturally, I looked her up on facebook and screenshotted her profile picture and sent it to my friend. Don’t lie, you’ve all done this before. You want to show your bestie what someone looks like so you just screenshot some pics from their social media and send them to your friend. Not a big deal….unless this happens. The next day I went to my internship and was talking to my supervisor about my dog. She asked to see a picture, so I opened up my camera roll to find a picture. Unfortunately, the most recent picture in my camera roll was a picture of her. I saw it, she saw it, there was absolutely no way to avoid the awkward conversation. I knew I was caught, so I just told her the truth. She laughed, but I think it was more of an uncomfortable “yikes” laugh, rather than a genuine laugh.

The Coat Catastrophe  

This happened over winter break, so it was a little while ago. But this is one of the most embarrassing things that has ever happened to me. When I was home in January, I realized I needed a new winter coat. So I went to TJ Maxx to look for one. My mom was going grocery shopping in the same plaza and said I could go look and if I found one I liked, she would come in and pay for it once she was done getting groceries. I got to the store, and headed straight to the coat section. There were a few other women looking at coats as well. As I was looking I found a black Michael Kors jacket with a brown furry hood. This was exactly what I was looking for. I grabbed the jacket and tried it on and immediately fell in love with it. It fit so well and was so warm. I walked over to the mirror where another woman was standing. She stared at me and stared at the jacket and smiled. I loved this jacket so much that I was literally smiling at myself in the mirror. I texted my mom and told her I found the one. She said she would be there in five minutes. It was too hot to wear the jacket in the store while I waited for her, so I went back to the rack and began to take the coat off and put it back on the hanger. As I was hanging it back up, the same woman that was standing by the mirror came over and said, “I’m so sorry honey, I can tell how much you love that jacket, and I didn’t want to break your heart, but that jacket actually isn’t for sale. It’s mine, I just put it on the rack while I was trying on some other jackets. I am so sorry.” I had no idea what to say, it was too awkward. I had literally tried on another woman’s coat. I don’t think I have been more embarrassed in my life.

Dog Walker Disaster

This last story also happened over winter break. I got up one morning and realized I was home alone because everyone was at school or work. So I got out of bed and realized I didn’t have to put clothes on because no one was home. I walked downstairs to the kitchen, completely naked. I start to make breakfast and everything is going fine until I hear the front door start to open. I panicked. Anyone who has ever been to my house knows that you can’t get from the kitchen to upstairs without passing the front door, so whoever this visitor was, was in for a huge surprise. I looked around the corner and it was our dog walker. Shit. I completely forgot that he was coming. I had no idea what to do. But then! I had the best idea ever, an idea that would save me from a very awkward encounter with the poor 85 year old man that walks my dog. I opened the drawer and pulled out one of my mom’s cooking aprons. Sure, it didn’t cover everything, but it was better than nothing! I threw on the apron and prayed that he would just take my dog and go for walk. I sat down at the table and started to eat my breakfast as naturally as possible. He usually comes in and says hi if me or my sister is home, so per usual, he pops his little head in the kitchen and says, “Hey Katherine!”. He looks at me in the apron and goes, “Ohhh, are you cooking something?”. I panicked again and just shouted, “Oh yeah! Banana bread!” to which he replied, “Oh man! That’s my favorite, I may need to have a slice when I get back from this walk!”. Ummm, no sir, I’m so sorry but there is actually no banana bread being made. Have a good walk. Goodbye!

I am a psychology major at Endicott College
Eva Graef

Endicott