Style > Decor

Decorating A Dorm Room Is Good For The Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

I’d have to say one of the most exciting things about coming back to school is decorating a new room. Whether you’re in the same dorm as last year or a new one, there is so much excitement that comes with a fresh start. Your college dorm is not only the place you sleep, but it’s a hangout room, a study space and sometimes even where you eat. Making the place feel homey, cozy, and welcoming is crucial. Here are some of the things I do to make my room feel like home!

1. Pictures!

Whether you are putting your pictures in frames on your desk or hanging them from string on your walls, pictures are a great way to tie in little pieces of home to your room! I love putting up pictures of my friends, family, and memories that make me happy. It makes the room feel like yours & is such a nice reminder for when you’re having a bad day.

1. Colors!

With it being my second year decorating a dorm, I wanted to change up my colors! Last year, I used a lot of blues and grays in my room, which gave it a nice beachy feeling (which was appropriate considering I had an ocean view). But this year, I wanted to use warmer colors throughout the space. I changed out my pillows for oranges and yellows and my blanket for a soft pink. Bringing in these warm and light colors to my room makes it feel like such a happy place to be.

1. Lights!

I’m not going to lie, sometimes, the dorm lighting can make you feel like you’re in a hospital or a prison. To avoid feeling this way, my roommate and I bought string bulb lights from Amazon that give off a soft yellow light in the room. This makes the place feel much brighter and cozier, and we never use the regular lights anymore. Lights are also a great way to brighten up your space on rainy days!

1. Plants!

Having little touches of greenery in your room can make it feel fresh and new! Putting little plants or flowers on your windowsill or your desk makes the air feel fresh and can help get rid of any toxicity! Fun fact: plants are often relievers of stress and help boost your creativity!

1. A Rug!

There is no better feeling than stepping out of bed and having your feet hit the coziness of a rug. Not only is a rug soft on your feet, but it really ties the room together and makes the room feel homey. I never had a rug last year, and decided to try one out this year… and it was the best decision I made. The rug has quickly become my favorite part of the room and ties everything together perfectly.

There are so many ways to make your room yours. Don’t be afraid to try new things and add little personal touches to make it a cozy place to be!

XOXO, Marissa

Marissa Dery

Endicott '25

Hi!! My name is Marissa and I'm an Elementary Education major at Endicott College! Some of my favorite things consist of spending time with family and friends, traveling, watching movies, going to concerts, and teaching! Welcome to my HerCampus page, I'm so happy you're here :))