Article hero image for a series of articles.
Julia Keegan

The Books I’m Reading While Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Now that everyone is social distancing and we all have so much time on our hands, it’s easy to get bored. One of my favorite things to do during quarantine to relax and help the time go by faster is to get cozy with a blanket and a cup of tea and read. I love to read many genres but my favorite two are mystery and historical fiction. I love learning about history and reading about everything from the Tudor period in England to World War II. 

The book I am currently reading is called The Queen’s Fortune by Allison Pataki. It is about Desiree, a wealthy teenage girl swept up in the terror of the French Revolution. Now that King Louis and Marie Antoinette have been sent to the guillotine, her family lives in constant fear that they are going to be next. As she crosses paths with the famous boy general Napoleon, she must be cautious of which side she chooses during this ever changing point in history. The book tells the story of struggles, love, loss and survival. 

Another one of my favorite authors when it comes to historical fiction is Phillipa Gregory. Gregory, writes mainly about medieval England including the Plantagenet and Tudor period and the War of the Roses. My favorite one that I have read so far is The Other Queen, about the rival between Queen Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots. The Other Boleyn Girl, about the infamous Anne Boleyn, is also another good one and after you’re done reading it you can enjoy the movie starring Natalie Portman. Here is the full list of Phillippa Gregory’s books. 

If you are looking for a good historical fiction read about World War II, The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is a great book. Set during World War II, Two sisters from France, vastly different from one another each find ways to do their part and help save France from the Nazis. The story gives the reader so many emotions, from sadness, to anger and from grief to joy.

If historical fiction isn’t your thing, and mystery excites you, one of the best mystery authors of all time is Agatha Christie. She has written so many great books including Murder of the Orient Express, And Then There Were None, and Evil Under the Sun. The next one on my list is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd which I’ve heard is very good. Here is a full list of all Agatha Christie’s books. 

Happy Reading! 

Hi my name is Elizabeth Dooher. I am a junior at Endicott College studying hospitality management. I enjoy running, reading, baking, traveling and hanging out with friends.