jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Bon Appetit Youtube Channel: The Office, But With Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

There is nothing that is more like self care than completely shutting off your brain and watching something entertaining that doesn’t make you think. When I was in middle school and high school it was lying on the couch and watching HGTV, but now the college version of me watches the Bon Appetit YouTube channel. 

Molly & Adam Make Broccoli Bolognese

Although, Bon Appetit is not just a YouTube channel. It’s a food magazine that is in print and digital. Their Instagram is also pretty beautiful of food photos that will instantly make you hungry. But the YouTube, with right now 4 million subscribers, is the most popular, especially with Gen Z. So you have to ask why is this food magazine famous for videos of making food, isn’t that the food network’s job? This rise to fame is because of their editors, that are stars of the videos. 

Pro Chefs Give 26 Cooking Tips for Every Letter A to Z

They are called the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen because they make, and ‘test’, what is in the magazine. There are always different people going in and out of the videos, but the main cast is: Brad Leone, Claire Saffitz, Chris Morocco, Carla Lalli Music, Molly Baz, Andy Baraghani, Amiel Stanek, Priya Krishna, Alex Delaney, and Gaby Melian. Almost all of the Test Kitchen members have their own shows. Gourmet Makes with Claire is a show where Claire recreates or make better junk food from our childhood. It’s Alive with Brad is where Brad makes food that has to do with fermentation and other living things. Also, Back to Back Chief is Carla’s series where she teaches celebrities how to cook using only her voice to tell them what to do. These three series are their most popular, but there are endless other great ones. 

Pasty Chef Attempts to Make Gourmet Kit-Kats

All these videos take place in the office kitchen in Manhattan. Since they are all coworkers, each of them are in each others videos and there are videos where they are all together. Their friendships are very relied on joking and helping each other. If I compare it to anything it would be like, everyone’s favorite, The Office. Not saying that the editor in chef and host of the magazine’s podcast (FoodCast), Adam Rapaort is like Micheal Scott. But the rest of them are like Jim and Dwight. Each employee has their own specific personality that compliments the other’s perfectly. It’s kind of like a little food family, just like The Office all of the characters have become a family. 

Brad Makes Garlic Miso

Over the summer, I really started to binge every Bon Appetit video, and now I watch them when I am overwhelmed or stressed to the point where words don’t make sense anymore. Like I said before when I watched this video, it’s not like I want to learn how to cook, but I just want my mind to blank which really happens like nothing else. I think this is true because it’s nothing like a long narrative, the video’s objective is just to make something and then the food gets made. It’s my favorite kind of self care right now. 

What Makes the Perfect Pizza?

Endicott College HC Campus Correspondent, double majoring in International Business and Marketing!