This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

“The Art of Makeup”

Sophia Longo

As a ten-year old little girl, I remember sitting on my mom’s bathroom counter watching her do her makeup in the morning. I would watch as she would apply mascara to her eyelashes and blush pink lipstick to finish off her look. Now at eighteen-years old, I have the capability of not only doing makeup on myself, but for all my friends and family. Every weekend before my friends and I go out, each and every one of them allows me to work my magic and create a master piece of my own using only makeup. After I finish off a look with a little lip gloss, all my friends stare at themselves in the mirror at awe of how beautiful their makeup looks. Being able to do makeup allows me to express myself through an artform that none of my friends know how to do. Makeup makes me feel empowered and beautiful in my own skin. It makes me feel unique that I have the capability to create any look I want, all the way from a smoky eye to a natural blush look.

Many girls and guys too wear makeup to make themselves feel beautiful, sexy, classy, or comfortable in their own skin. Makeup can turn anyone into their own personal goddess and showcase their best features. I do makeup because I know it’s something I am good at and I feel over joyed when people love the look I created on them with only makeup.

Many women and men have been ridiculed for wearing too much makeup or wearing a look too bold. I have been judged many times throughout my life for wearing “too much makeup”, but in my world of doing makeup, wearing that much makeup is completely natural to me. The way I view people criticizing me when I wear makeup is simply that they are jealous. They are jealous because they cannot do the things I can do with makeup. Makeup gives people the opportunity to be bold and use an art form that is tailored to what they desire. Makeup is not just something people wear on their face to cover blemishes or scars, it is something that makes someone stand out in a crowd or express themselves in their best way. Makeup is not just something people apply to their faces, it is a true art form that anyone is capable of doing.

Sophia Longo

Endicott '22

I'm Sophia and I'm from Point Pleasant Beach New Jersey. I love going to the beach and doing makeup.
Eva Graef

Endicott