Your “How To” Guide for Concealer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Concealer is often underrated and not used properly to disguise what you can’t wish away, but concealer can be your best friend. Believe it or not, but you can use concealer to not only hide your blemishes, but to hide undereye circles or to camouflage a bruise or cut.

To disguise a pimple you need to apply concealer onto the red spot and extend it out slightly to form a small circle around the bump. Let it set and then add a thin layer of foundation on top. However, do not forget that there is still a blemish underneath. At the end of the day it is vital to wash the area carefully and apply an acne product to it so it can start drying up overnight.

To hide undereye circles you need to apply a sheer highlighter, then concealer. However, do not put any shimmer under eyes as it brings attention to your dark circles.

To camouflage a bruise or a cut, do look for a product with a drier texture so it stays puts, and then blends well. Whatever you do, do not put makeup on a cut or a scratch that’s still healing. Use a bandage until it is all closed up.

It is important to note when applying concealer to dab it on over your foundation because if you apply it before you will have more than you need. Plus, the base of the foundation keeps the concealer crease-free. It is also best to use a small, pointy brush to conceal the darkest places below the inner corner of your eye and general around the eye area. Last, always pick a color one shade lighter than your skin so it won’t look too fake on the skin.

Her Campus at Emory University