What To Expect At Mardi Gras!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Heading down to NOLA this weekend and need some guidance on getting ready? Her Campus Emory’s got you covered.

What to Wear: I cannot stress this enough: wear comfy shoes and clothes you’re willing to get dirty. Simply put, it’s all about the fun, bright colors (yellow, green, and purple, of course). You can probably find some great pieces in thrift stores. You’ll look out of place if you’re wearing normal going-out clothes at Mardi Gras. To do Mardi Gras the right way, get ready to be a little out there: think spandex leggings, fun tutus, and costume pieces. Then pair those items with comfortable shoes you can walk in all day. Once your wardrobe is planned, don’t forget the essentials: a fanny pack to keep your hands free and your things safe, a flask for those of-age, and plenty of beads! Last tip: remember to layer! The weather in New Orleans is really unpredictable and can change really quickly, so a light sweater and a cheap poncho can go a long way.

The Drive Down: The drive from Emory to NOLA is about six to seven hours long including stops. It feels a million times longer on the way back, so Waffle House is bound to become your best friend for those much-needed coffee breaks. Just make sure you’re prepared for anything when it comes to unpredictable weather and traffic. As long as you have good company and some great pump-up road trip music, you’ll survive!

The Long Road to Recovery: “Recovery afterwards definitely starts with a huge greasy breakfast followed by a lengthy nap!” said Abby, Emory Sophomore. I don’t think I could have said it better myself. The only proper way to recuperate from several days of partying like it’s your last day on earth is with a lot of water, sleep, and just plain relaxation. As soon as you get back, get ready to use your Netflix account like you never have before.

I Wish I Knew/Brought…: Take safety seriously. That means be extra careful with all of your personal belongings, download the Find My Friends app, and always have something on you with your friends’ contact information. As for the fun stuff, bring empty water bottles and chasers down with you; you can save a lot of money by making your own drinks before you go out. Also, while it’s easy to underestimate the power of napping and staying hydrated, don’t skip that!

Here are a few pieces of valuable advice from other experienced Mardi veterans:

“Let’s just say I wish I did my homework and studying beforehand…I think I skipped all of my classes that following Monday,” – Elyse, Emory Sophomore

“I wish I figured out parking beforehand…it’s impossible to find last-minute” – Ali, Emory Senior

“Last year I went without a room so I could stay for free by crashing on people’s floors different nights. It was cheap, but it wasn’t the most fun way to do Mardi, especially since I was living out of a backpack, so this year I’m coming with a room booked,” – Abby, Emory Sophomore

Most importantly, have fun! Now that you’re fully prepared, you don’t have to learn some lessons the hard way. Go enjoy one of the most famous carnivals in the world!

Her Campus at Emory University