Weekend Alternatives to Partying (#nohangoversduringrush!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This past Saturday, approximately one third of Emory girls woke up well before 9 a.m. in order to make conversation with each other for several hours straight. Ah yes, it’s that time again—spring sorority recruitment!

As tempting as the usual Friday night high-heeled walk down fraternity row typically is, I’d imagine it is not an outing most conducive to an enjoyable rush experience. Nights at Maggie’s plus mornings awake before noon are not my favorite combination. Fortunately, there are tons of great alternatives to outings filled with Skyy (if you’re lucky) or Burnett’s (if you’re not). Check out these suggestions to plan a fun weekend, completely free of hangovers:

Go see a movie
The Christmas blockbusters are still in the theaters, and some new cool flicks are coming out this weekend. In the mood for a chick flick? Katherine Heigl stars in One For the Money, out Friday, as a bounty hunter out for her ex lover.  Down for something a little grittier (and staring a hot male lead)?  Catch Contraband to see Mark Wahlberg help out his brother with some seriously BAMF smuggling action. Still super into Disney classics? Beauty and the Beast is out in 3D—don’t act like you can’t sing along to every song! And if you want a sweet tearjerker, head straight to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. All of these movies show at Atlantic Station. No car? Rent a projector from the library and watch your Netflix on the big screen!

Try a weird food combination at a funky restaurant

As in… go to the Vortex! After passing through the crazy skull entrance of this Little Five Points bar and grill, you are faced with a menu almost overenthusiastic with burger choices. Toppings at the Vortex include peanut butter, pineapple, guacamole, BBQ sauce and fried bananas.  Don’t worry, these are not all on one burger—but the bananas and peanut butter are both on the Elvis Burger, which also features bacon. These options are all vegetarian-friendly, as the Vortex serves meat substitutes. I highly recommend the sweet potato fries—they come with marshmallow fluff dipping sauce!

Check out cool stuff at Emory
Did you know Emory has an award-winning museum? Currently the Carlos Museum is hosting an exhibit called Mandala: Sacred Circle in Tibetan Buddhism, featuring primarily from the Rubin Museum of Art in New York. Mandalas are an artistic aid for meditation to further enlightenment. Check them out between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Fridays, 10 a.m. and 5 on Saturdays. Less into visual arts but more into music? On Friday at noon, pianist Gloria Chien and the Vega String Quartet will play Dvorak’s Quintet and Mozart with William Ransom. Conveniently enough, this concert is also located at the Carlos Museum.

After trying the Triple Coronary Bypass Burger at the Vortex (if you are so ambitious), watching a box office hit at Atlantic Station, or getting some culture at the Carlos, you’ll be sure to have some interesting stories to share during the last rounds of recruitment this weekend! And if you don’t get around to any of these this weekend, be sure to check them out in the near future. HC Emory wishes best of luck to all the girls involved in recruitment!

Allison is a senior at Emory University studying Journalism and the rather complicated major of Interdisciplinary Studies: Visual Studies and Contemporary Cultures. She is slightly obsessed with magazines and has written and edited for Her Campus since its start at Emory her freshman year. At Emory she can generally be found giving tours to prospies, hanging with her ADPi sisters, DJ-ing with WMRE and om-ing in yoga classes. Allison enjoys music, drawing, and fashion, and like most college students she is completely addicted to coffee. After graduation she wants to work in public relations or marketing, but her secret dream is to become Lena Dunham. Follow her on Twitter: @alldayallison
Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).