Trendy Workout Accessories: How to Look “Hot” at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

While it’s safe to say that the Jane Fonda days of unitards and legwarmers are behind us, colorful workout accessories remain a staple of sweating in style. Although the search for those perfect vibrant workout tights is finally over, we’re still in need of finding stylish essential workout accessories – like sports bras, headbands, and sneakers. 

Sports Bras:

Today, active women can keep some of that 80’s jazzercise pizzazz close to their hearts: sports bras. Shifting away from mundane black and white sports bras; trendy colors and cuts are all the rage in sporty support. Sports bras of today flaunt fresh colors, patterns, and cool back straps. With designs this cute, you may find yourself wondering if a shirt on top is even necessary! (Note: Yes, a shirt is indeed necessary. Don’t be that person at the gym…)

Headbands:

Instead of the bulky terrycloth sweatbands that were popular in the 80’s, try a slim headband like Lululemon’s “Slip-less Headband” to help absorb sweat and keep your hair off your face during your workout. As of recently, Headbands of Hope offer a trendy (and charitable!) option. These stylish, glittery headbands are great for holding your hair back and for every headband purchased $1 is donated to childhood cancer research!

If you’re a runner, you can probably attest to the great annoyance brought on by having your headphones slip out of your ears. Finally- fitness, fashion, and functionality has formed a solution: RunPhones! Like other top workout headbands, RunPhones absorb sweat and keep your hair back, BUT ALSO they house padded adjustable speakers so that you can listen to music without the vexation of readjusting your headphones every two seconds on your run.  

Sneakers

The days of heavy, bulky and frankly, boring sneakers are gone. Now more and more companies are realizing the beneficial effects of lightweight, flexible shoes with less stiff support. Not only are these shoes much more comfortable, they are extremely trendy. You will find that they are perfect for everything, from running on the treadmill to walking around campus. Try a pair of Nike Frees, which come in a rainbow of colors and styles, or something like Adidas Climawarm Blast Shoes. 

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).