These Shoes Are Made For Showering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

These shoes are made for showering, and that’s just what they’ll do, for all your dorm days these shoes will pro-o-tect you.

St. Ives apricot scrub body wash, Panteen volumizing shampoo and Skintamate berry scented shaving cream all make you feel and smell great. But what you don’t know is that as these products flow down to the drain, the shower tiles become a breeding ground for bacteria. As explained in a Fox News article, “Warm, moist environments like a communal shower often encourage the growth of germs such as fungi and warts, like those that cause athlete’s foot,” said Dr. Andrew Gotlin, medical director at the Ryan/Chelsea-Clinton Community Health Center in New York City. And though these infections might seem small, they can lead to other external or internal bodily infections…eww!

Although your feet may be used to having the comfort of your own personal smooth ceramic shower under them, you’re in college now and using a communal bathroom, so wear shower shoes. Plus, there’s probably a decent sized hairball coating the drain that you don’t want to get mangled up in your toes.

Whether it’s two dollar Old-Navy flip-flops or pricier Havaianas, Reefs, or Fit-Flops, your health is what’s most important. And if you don’t like the plastic thong between your toes try Crocs or Adidas sandals.

Cinderella wouldn’t be able to slip her foot into the glass slipper if she had infected feet, so wear those shower shoes ladies!

Stay clean, stay classy.

Her Campus at Emory University