This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s time to book your flight, pre-record the Macy’s parade, and practice your pumpkin pie baking skills because Thanksgiving Break is just a few weeks away! Even if November is treating you to countless essays and exams, remember that there will soon be a lot to look forward to. If you’re feeling stressed, check out this these ideas on how to make the most of your time off from school and have the best Thanksgiving yet!

1. Hunt for the best Black Friday deals

Thanksgiving is the perfect time to catch up with family and enjoy each other’s company, but there’s no reason you can’t make a little shopping spree out of break too! If you’re feeling courageous and want to burn off some of that post-turkey dinner bloat, stop by your local mall or shopping center and see which Black Friday sales are worth splurging on. The sales typically begin the evening of Thanksgiving and last throughout the following day. Maybe you can save some dough on updated tech gear or grab an extra sweater to keep you cozy for the rest of the season. If you’re not a fan of big crowds and long lines, Cyber Monday is for you—you can score great deals from all your favorite online websites without even leaving your bed.

1. Have a movie marathon

What’s better than cuddling up with your favorite treats in hand and enjoying a great flick? Of course Netflix is always a viable option, but going to the movie theater can be an adventure and a fun way to spend time with friends or family. The final Hunger Games movie hits theaters on the 20th and promises to be action-packed and keep you on your toes. If you’re in the mood for something sweeter and even kid-friendly, Pixar’s latest fantasy film, The Good Dinosaur, will be released the day before Thanksgiving. In the movie, a young dinosaur named Arlo gets separated from his family and befriends a little boy who helps him find his way home. Whatever genre of movie you choose, just sit back, relax, and enjoy!

1. Plan a fun activity with friends

It’s so hard to keep in touch with your high school friends throughout the semester, and Thanksgiving is often the first time everyone is home at the same time since the summer. Use this time together to plan a fun activity that you will all enjoy. Try apple picking, hiking, or making tasty fall-inspired drinks. In addition, you can never go wrong with a photo shoot where you can enjoy the vibrant autumn leaves and maybe even capture the perfect new pro pic. Sometimes the best activity of all though, is just sitting around, catching up on each other’s lives, and being nostalgic for the good ol’ days.

1. Prepare a new recipe for Thanksgiving dinner

Food is love, and Thanksgiving dinner is probably the most love-filled meal of the year. Since the way to our hearts is through our stomachs, finding a great recipe for your family dinner is pretty much necessary. Whether you attempt a tried-and-true dish from your grandma’s old cookbook or find a vegan/gluten-free/fully raw modern take on a classic recipe, you’re sure to have lots of fun and gain some kitchen confidence. If you’re not into cooking, you can always pick up standard Thanksgiving dishes from your local grocery store—just don’t take credit for those delicious mashed potatoes. Enjoy your food, but more importantly, enjoy the company at your table.

1. Try to get your work done before break

As exhausting and stressful as this point in the semester can be, it’s best to power through your assignments now so that you can enjoy a homework-free break. You don’t want to worry about doing your assigned reading on the plane ride or finishing starting your research paper while at home. Take a look at your calendar for the next two weeks and seriously plan your time so that you can get all your assignments done before heading off. I promise, you will thank yourself later when you can cozy up on the couch with your pets and not worry about checking Blackboard.

However you choose to spend your break, whether it’s with family or friends, cooking or eating, relaxing or running errands, just remember to make the most of it and enjoy your time with your loved ones. There is so much to be thankful for, and this holiday break is just a small reminder of that. Happy early Thanksgiving!

Her Campus at Emory University