Taking Fashion From The Runway to The Street

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Trendsetters, this one’s for you. With the whirlwind that defines Fashion Week, it’s hard to keep up with the next best looks of the season. The styles prancing down the runway, while beautiful and exciting, often feel impractical for the non-celebrity viewer. Come on, no one is actually going to wear a flower bouquet as Gigi Hadid did when she closed the Moschino Spring 2018 ready-to-wear show. Fashion designers are inspired by cultures, current events and defying society’s norms, often showcasing these influences through the creation of avant-garde shows that fail to explain how to transfer these trends from the runway to the streets of your everyday world. It’s the themes sewn into each designer that show where new trends emerge, making their way into your closet.

Colors, patterns, and silhouettes galore! This season’s fashion shows were full of cutting edge styles and trends, ranging from single-shoulder cutouts to deconstructed suiting. Cleanse your palette, because refreshing bold colors are making their debut this spring. The world is your runway. Don’t fear the unattainable: instead, be sure to embrace it. If you need a little help on how to do that, you’ve come to the right spot. Here are my top 5 picks to rock the runway on the street: 

1. Get Ready to Rock 50 Shades of Yellow

“Can’t” should no longer be part of your vocabulary because yellow is the next big thing. Step out and feel beautiful in this bright, inviting color – everyone is doing it. If different shades of yellow coupled together give you a fright, ease your way into this trend. How? Kick off the new season with these Steve Madden sandals for a subtle hint of yellow on your feet. They’re simple, yet trendy and fashion forward!

2. Dance The Day Away in Sparkling Sequins

This year’s Fashion Week brought sequins from tacky to tasteful. Pops of shimmer will keep you turning heads as you dance the day away. WARNING: don’t overdo this trend. Try to be aware of when, where and how much is too much. Look fierce at school or during a day at the mall with a sequin bomber jacket. Then, transform this trend to a chic sequin jumpsuit for a sparkly night out.

3. Bare the Chill with Asymmetrical Shoulders

Hey there cold shoulder, we’ve got a new trend for you. Walk right off the catwalk in a funky, roughly designed asymmetrical top. Whether its with a sweater, t-shirt, or blouse, you must incorporate this trend into your spring wardrobe. These little cutouts speak for themselves. It’s the perfect touch to a simple outfit, creating the novelty everyone wants to their closets.

4. Suits Aren’t Just for Business Women

Want to look posh and professional? If you answered yes, then this look is for you. Trendsetters, Wall Street is calling. Seen all over the runway, designers could not get enough of un-tailored suiting as an everyday look. Whether pairing pinstripes together or throwing on a deconstructed blazer to complete your outfit, this style is here to stay. Finish your look with a chic silk neck scarf.

5. Bring it Back to The 70’s with Denim on Denim

Denim has not left the runway yet. It’s back and better than ever this season. Straight out of a 1970’s fashion show, this denim on denim trend will have you strutting the streets with attitude. STYLE TIP: mix different washes of denim for your tops and bottoms. If you think you look like a farmer, at least be a trendy one because this will be one of the hottest looks this season!