Sustainable, Socially Distanced, and Spooky? Here’s What Your Halloween Could Look Like…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

With spooky season upon us and a lack of physical festivities we can partake in, one of the safest things we can do with our loved ones is watch movies together, virtually. Thankfully, many platforms have realized that the best way to go about releasing films nowadays is to make them accessible digitally. Using services like Netflix Party can help to spread some holiday cheer this season.

https://media.giphy.com/media/dzPJfJhrPujbkqBDa5/giphy.gif

Whether you get your Halloween fix from thrilling slashers or old school nostalgic films like Halloweentown, Twitches Too, or Hocus Pocus, I think we can all agree that movies are a staple of most festive nights. Since my days of watching horror movies at Bread House here in Atlanta as a Freshmen are long gone, I’ve had to turn to some alternatives to ensure that I can stay connected to my friends. Apps and websites such as Netflix Party, Gaze (a Youtube based app), and even impromptu Zoom streaming sessions can help keep us connected with our loved ones, despite any physical distance separating us. 

Video calling while pumpkin carving, baking, and even drinking apple cider can do wonders for the psyche. However, it’s been calculated that over half the weight of all the pumpkins grown in the U.S. are thrown away once the pumpkin is carved. Some ways to avoid this waste can be baking the seeds and eating them salted or seasoned with cinnamon and sugar. There’s also plenty of recipes that can make use of pumpkin innards such as vegetable stock, pumpkin juice, or even making pies and other baked goods once you blend the guts. It also isn’t a bad time to try and compost your pumpkin once it’s past its prime!

https://media.giphy.com/media/5knp3kuvvvnW/giphy.gif

While we can’t go crazy with fun costumes and house parties responsibly this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t dress up! My personal favorite is costumes that can be broken down into things that I’ll be able to wear again. Local thrift stores are sure to have some unique statement pieces that will look fantastic in a costume, and even if you can’t see yourself wearing any part of it again, donating it and continuing its life cycle is always an option.

Also, it’s always a great idea to get your pumpkins from a local farmer or orchard. Stimulating your local economy is a great help to those that serve it. All in all, I think it’s important to remember that, while we can’t be together physically for now or for the foreseeable future, it isn’t the end of the world—there are still plenty of ways to celebrate. I hope that everyone has a safe, sustainable, and very spooky Halloween!

Kai Tipton

Emory '23

Hello! I'm a sophomore at Emory University pursuing a double major in biology and computer science.
Madeleine McGuinness is a sophomore at Emory University majoring in Human Health. She is interested in all things concerning women’s health and well-being!