jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Make Time for You Time

It’s easy to get lost in the rigor of the school year and let go of your mental and physical health. Even though we’re all trying to get internships, research positions, and jobs, summer can still be a great time to get your health back on track.

For your physical health, try a group fitness class, go swimming every week, or get a job as a dog walker (and earn some money on the side)! For your mental health, try to slow down and relax. Maybe take up meditating, get back into your favorite hobby, or even try some of the physical activities listed above. Mental and physical health are connected, and odds are that if you improve one, you’ll improve the other.   

Work on Your Hobbies

We’re all guilty of fudging the “Hobbies” section of job applications because busy college students have trouble finding the time to sustain their hobbies with all of the papers to write and notecards to make for their classes. But it doesn’t have to be this way! Take this summer to revive your old hobbies, and if they aren’t your style anymore, then find new ones! Whether they’re in the form of a sport, music, or even knitting, it’ll do you good to have something to keep you busy besides your work.

Spend Time with Family and Friends

During the school year, it’s easy to get caught up in your insane school schedule and forget to call your parents or your old friends. This summer, make it a habit to call or FaceTime once every week (or more!!) to catch up and keep those friendships and family ties alive and well.

Make Some Memories

Summer is the perfect time to let loose and do something exciting and unusual. Round up all your friends and hit the road for a week (or go solo—solo travel can be one of the best adventures)! College students get so bogged down in their studies that they forget that it’s ok to throw the agenda out the window and follow through with ideas for spontaneous adventures. And summer is the perfect time to remind ourselves of that.

Recharge

The summer is also a great time to recharge your internal batteries. Sleep deprivation is a real problem among college students, and it will eventually catch up with you. Take this time to really make an effort to get those 8 hours (or more!) every night and get back onto a regular sleep schedule. Coffee and naps are great—don’t get me wrong—but nothing beats a regular, good night’s sleep.  

Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.