Wellness > Health

Stuck at Home? Try This Total-Body No-Equipment-Necessary, Dorm-Room-Proof Workout!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

With COVID-19 physical distancing and safety requirements, going to the gym to workout is not an option for everyone, especially college students! Without access to equipment, group fitness classes, and gym buddies, it can be hard to find the motivation to work out regularly. However, staying active, especially with everything going on in our lives, is crucial. Exercise provides huge benefits, both physically and emotionally. In addition to preventing chronic health diseases like diabetes, CVD, etc., exercise also relieves stress, helps you sleep better, and boosts your overall mood!

As a certified personal trainer, it’s my job to help you workout and stay active no matter what circumstances you’re in. With that being said, here is my favorite total-body, no-equipment-necessary, dorm-room-proof workout!

The Workout

This workout is broken up into three sections: a warm-up, a circuit, and a cool-down. Scroll down for pictures of how to do each move! 

Warm-Up

Do each move for 30 seconds. Do the warm-up 2x through.

• Jumping Jacks

• Inchworm Walkout to Shoulder Taps

• Squats

Circuit

Perform each exercise for 10-12 reps. Repeat the circuit 3x. 

• Push-Ups

• Lateral Plank Walk

• Lateral Lunges (For an extra challenge, hold a water bottle or textbook in place of dumbbells!)

• Tricep Dips

• Dead Bugs

• Glute Bridges

• Superman With Arm Extension

• Forearm Plank Rocks

• Touchdown Jacks

Cool-Down

Do each move for 30 seconds or longer

• Child’s Pose

• Downward-Facing Dog

• Standing Quad Stretch (10 seconds per leg 3x)

Ali is a second-year undergraduate student at Emory University majoring in Human Health and minoring in Religion. Ali is pre-physical therapy and, as a NASM certified personal trainer, loves writing about fitness and wellness! In her spare time, Ali can be found listening to music, working out, and baking!
Madeleine McGuinness is a sophomore at Emory University majoring in Human Health. She is interested in all things concerning women’s health and well-being!