Career

Setting Yourself Apart from the Competition: 9 Ways to Make an Impression  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

There is competition in whatever you do, wherever you go. Frankly, it sucks, but that’s the world we’re in. With feeling this constant pressure to be better than the person to the left and the right of you, there’s always a search for how to make yourself stand apart; how to make yourself the most memorable and unique candidate. You could do this in a lot of ways; show up in a carrot costume and people won’t forget you, I guarantee it, but here are 9 (normal, but unique) ways to make an impression.

1. Social Media Game

Let’s be real, we all insta-stalk someone, whether it be the new members of a club, the PNMs for sororities, or (unfortunately) the girls we feel threatened by. Even though we’re not usually stalking someone to see their professional presence online, employers are. You don’t need to have a color-coordinated feed, but employers are looking for people who are sociable (because collaboration is key in the workplace), respectable (that means hide your drinks or edit them out), and pleasant (save the rants for the finsta). 

2. Business Cards

I went to a seminar where the speaker talked about how much of an impression it made on her when young professionals had a true, honest-to-goodness business card to hand interviewers or potential employers. I thought about it and realized, yeah, that’s actually a great idea. I actually got some (from moo.com) and they’ve been a talking point for everyone who’s ever gotten them. Employers love them, I almost always at least get one impressed compliment from them, and my friends have started designing their own. I actually included a photo on mine so people know what I look like and won’t forget me after I leave their office. 

3. A Website

If you have a friend who has their own website (*cough cough* Emory’s Her Campus President, Manishka), hopefully, you’ve seen how cool it is. Taking the time to design your online presence and upload your work into one creative place is something the majority of people won’t do, but the majority of employers will love. It takes some time, but it’s something that seriously gives you an edge. 

4. A Killer Resumé 

I don’t know if there’s anything more contended between Emory College of Arts and Science Students and Goizueta Business School students than how to format a resumé. GBS students tend to opt for the more traditional, word-templated resumé that literally just outlines what you’ve done in life. ECAS students, on the other hand, have an array of creative, multimedia compositions of their achievements. Honestly, both approaches are fine. The creative aspect is a choice that each person has to make, but what’s really important is the content. 

5. A Headshot

If you’re anything like me, you might have a hard time with names when you don’t have a face to attach to them. Having a headshot, whether it’s attached to your resumé or a piece of your business card, is killer. It shows people who you are, who to look for, and gives them a way to remember you once you leave. Obviously, try to make this a professional headshot, rather than a selfie you might post online, but it’s undoubtedly something to make your name stand apart. 

6. A LinkedIn Profile you actually use

LinkedIn is the Facebook of the professional world. I don’t know how many people have it already, but if you don’t, you should. Employers can see where you’ve worked, the people you know, the skills you have, who endorses you, and what you’re up to without lifting a finger. As you get deeper into undergrad, the more invitations to connect will pop up, and you don’t want to have information from 8th grade (when you maybe didn’t understand what LinkedIn was) as your only face. 

7. Friends in different places

So many people will tell you that the majority of job hunting comes from who you know in the professional world. While that’s true, you can also have connections outside of the professional world who can still provide important platforms for professional opportunities. Think about joining sororities, clubs with professional ties (omg, like Her Campus!), or even club sports that will allow you to meet tons of different people from different disciplines, different years, and different connections of their own. The more people you know, the better. 

8. Confidence

There’s nothing that turns somebody off to you than being scared of them. It’s so, so incredibly crucial to walk into anything, whether it be an interview or a meeting, with 100% certainty that you are the most boss person to be a part of it. While, yes, you may teeter the line between being cocky and being confident, it’s way better to have more of something than less of it. Confidence makes you seem friendly, in control, prepared, and badass. Even if you don’t have it, like they say, fake it until you do. 

9. Style 

When thinking about making an impression, it’s also important to think about the first impression people have of you: what they see physically. While you should always maintain the unspoken rules of professional attire, no one says you need to show up in black slacks and a blazer. Be fun, be comfortable, and express yourself however you can. Jewelry makes things fun, colors are always a fun burst of change, and a colorful flick of sparkle under your eyes might just intrigue someone enough to ask about it. Whatever it is that embodies your personality in your style, take control of it. 

Maddy Knight is a senior in Emory's College of Arts and Sciences with a double major in Spanish and Linguistics. She plans on attending law school once graduating. Maddy likes all animals with fur, spending time with her friends and family, and has been writing for Her Campus since high school. 
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.