girl smile happy colorado travel mountains hiking trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Scorpio Season: A time to let things go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s finally that time of the year. Scorpio season is upon us. The spooky season that just keeps giving back. I may be biased but it is my birthday month so I have a right to be. But regardless, now is a good time to look back at things that you have been holding onto for too long and simply let it go. I for one have held onto people, memories, and feelings for way too long.

I’m not sure if it’s because I’m turning a year older or if I’ve been inspired by Selena’s new song but either way I think this season provides us with a chance to choose ourselves above all else. You should be able to let go of things that are no longer good for you and are causing you more pain than joy. 

Personally, this has never been easy for me. I have struggled with letting go of things that have caused me pain. I would let someone toxic into my life or feel bad about myself about things I could no longer change. This doesn’t have to be the case for you. Now is a time to let those things go. You don’t owe people anything, you do what’s best for yourself.

When we hold onto things from our past, we keep ourselves from moving forward. Everyone messes up sometimes or makes the wrong choice but how we react is totally individualistic. Sometimes we trust the wrong people or invest in something we later regret but how you move on from that experience is what defines you. It’s not easy, truly it is difficult to let things go because we want to hold onto people and experiences simply as part of our nature. But if it’s toxic for you, don’t you deserve better?

Learn from your mistakes, but don’t dwell on them. You’re constantly going to face rough patches but you have to know when to let go and just enjoy life. If anything, I’ve realized that everyone could catch a break from holding onto things they no longer need. There’s a lot of negativity out there if you’re constantly in search of it, but if you look for that sliver of positivity it can change your perspective all together. You deserve better. Don’t let that one person, memory, or emotion hold you back from what truly could make you happy.

Aside from all the seriousness, enjoy yourself this season. Let go of all expectations and do what feels right for yourself. Let go of the pain, grudges, and negative thoughts. Let go of the insecurities and toxic people in your life. Most importantly let go of the things you have no control over.  Trust the process and trust yourself. People are not meant to be perfect and you aren’t expected to be. Letting go is the first step to living a life with more happiness and less pain regardless of the circumstance. Scorpio season is finally here, use it to your advantage!

Veronica is a Senior at Emory University studying Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology on the pre-med track. She enjoys spending time with friends, family, and her dog Cody. Often can be found at Starbucks getting a strawberry refresher or as she likes to call it a big girl caprisun.
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.