This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Everyone has made that unnecessary sale purchase that was a must-have in the moment, but now sits untouched in your closet. Whether it’s an uncomfortable pair of shoes or a trendy outfit that outlived the trend, it’s a purchase you wish you could take back. Here are some rules to ensure that you don’t make that regrettable purchase (again).

1. Ask yourself, “Would I buy this at full price?”

It’s easy to get tempted by an item that that boasts being 50% off even if you realistically will never wear this item. So, before you buy something, ask yourself if you would buy this if it was still full price. If the answer is no, then don’t purchase it.

2. Don’t get sucked into post-trend, trendy items.

Trendy clothes are hard because while you may want to be a fashionista, you also don’t want to break the bank with clothes that won’t be as trendy in a couple months. Because of this, it’s easy to get sucked into getting things when they’re cheaper, even if they are just past their prime. Let’s be realistic here: you will not be wearing that daring fashion choice if it is not at the peak of its trendiness. So, skip it, and use that money to treat yo’ self to something that’s trendy right now.

3. Avoid the damaged goods.

You found an adorable shirt on a super sale! Is it too good to be true? Yes, sadly it is: it has a snag all down the side. It’s so cheap and could be so cute, but no one wants to wear damaged goods. Wearing ruined clothes is not worth it, so skip purchasing this item.

4. Don’t buy cheaply-made items.

Clothes on sale are often there for a reason; maybe the seam isn’t right or the fabric is falling apart. Because of this, the prices are excitingly low, but this is a dangerous game. You might not be breaking the bank with a purchase like this, but these items never last more than a few wears. It is a better option to ‘splurge’ for an item that stands the test of time.

Sales are an essential for anyone with a closet bigger than their wallet, but make sure you spend your hard-earned bucks on the good stuff. 

Her Campus at Emory University