Reality? Television?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

My love affair with reality television started when I was nine years old. The year was 2000. The show was Making the Band. All week I looked forward to watching the next big boy band be formed right in front of my eyes. Plus it was funny to watch the Hawaiian guy spend the entire episode crying about wanting to go home. Although the newly formed band O-Town wasn’t able to extend their five minutes of fame once the season ended, my love of reality television only grew stronger.

The great thing about reality television is that there is literally a show about everything. Want to watch 20 men or women fight to win the heart of one person? Tune into The Bachelor or Bachelorette. Need a good cry while watching people improve their lives? I’d suggest Biggest Loser or Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Need to take a break from your own family by watching a truly dysfunctional one? Time to catch up on Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Sometimes I even find myself watching things that I didn’t even know I was interested in. I may have never competed in a beauty pageant before, but once I turn on Toddlers and Tiaras, I can’t seem to change the channel until I know which girl was crowned Little Miss Grand Supreme.

Looking for a new reality show to watch? This television season I’ve been captivated by two different reality television shows: The X Factor and Made in Chelsea.

The X Factor: USA – I actually started watching The X Factor: UK two seasons ago after a friend wouldn’t stop talking or posting about it on Facebook. That was the season that brought us the phenomenon that is One Direction. After watching the girl band Little Mix (for a great girl power song, I’d suggest their single “Wings”) win last season in the United Kingdom, I decided it was time to check out my own country’s talented singers. The X Factor is different from the usual singing competition; judges Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato, Britney Spears, and LA Reid serve as mentors for contestants who are divided into Groups, Young Adults, Teens, and Over 25’s. My friends and I, and pretty much the rest of America, have been rooting for 13-year-old Carly Rose Sonenclar. It seems almost impossible that her amazing voice could come out of her little body. Just watch her audition to see what I mean. Other favorites include country singer, and all around great guy, Tate Stevens, and girl group whose members’ singing ability lives up to its name, Fifth Harmony. Tune into The X Factor at 8:00pm for performances on Wednesdays and results on Thursdays.

Made in Chelsea – I was recently asked, “There aren’t enough reality television shows in America? You had to start watching one from a different country?” This London-based show is new to the Style Network, and since watching the first episode I’ve been hooked. I’ve become so invested; in fact, I’m already completely caught up on the four seasons. I would describe the show as a British, more glamorous version of Laguna Beach. The show is centered around a group of friends living in the wealthy Chelsea district of London. Gossip, back stabbing, and love triangles ensue. At the end of each episode, I find myself wishing I could pack up, move to a fabulous apartment in Chelsea, and become a member of the group. Watch a preview of the first season here. Made in Chelsea airs at 11:00pm every Monday.

As entertaining as reality television shows are, it’s important to remember a few things about them. Many times, reality television shows aren’t reality at all. Even Kristen Cavallari admitted that Laguna Beach and The Hills were mostly scripted.

And while it’s understandable to become emotionally involved with all of the baby daddy drama on Teen Mom, you shouldn’t be using reality shows as an excuse for not living your own life. Go out, have fun, spend time with friends, and make your own memories. But don’t worry; your favorite reality television shows will always be there when you need them.

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).