Pretty in Pastels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s time for a rainbow of soft springtime shades to reign surpreme throughout the spring 2014 collections. The best thing about the pastel trend is that you can pick your most-flattering color and wear it with whatever silhouette flatters and excites you. From a minty-green board-shorts suit to a sexy-CEO lilac dress to sporty baby blue bombers, the sky’s the limit on how pastel you want to get. Get ready to see a ton of pastels everywhere because the “it” shade of the season is one of the biggest spring 2014 fashion trends. The choices are endless in terms of color from pink, purple, green, coral and blue. 

Luckily, you won’t feel like the Easter Bunny if you wear it: designers such as Jason Wu, Prabal Gurung, and Rebecca Taylor modernized the colors into sleek and elegant springtime wear that can be worn to the office, to brunch or just for a relaxing day out with friends. Give everything a try from oversized blazers and sexy pencil skirts to tailored blouses and chic cropped jackets. Pastel clothes will be fashionable, not childish.

Do not be afraid to reach for something familiar in these pastel tones, and just apply it to your wardrobe with a couple new items. Consider a cashmere cardigan, knife-pleat skirt, or coat to really make a fresh impact. You could also pair them with an animal print. Even wearing similar pastel shades monochromatically can give you a modern vibe. One of the best ways to execute this trend is to pair it with metallic accents. Retro-glam metallic jewelry, and coordinated handbag hardware and heels can really add polish. Wide-legged pants with a metallic pointed-toe heel or a pastel dress with a metallic evening sandal will keep you chic.

These sugary sweet pastel shades will refresh your wardrobe. Pastel shades of soft powder pink, sky blue, peppermint and parma violet are everywhere, from dresses and denim to jackets, jewelry and shoes. Soften up in fluid tailoring, liquid bomber jackets and cute co-ords. Life cannot get any sweeter than this! From coats to lace and satin to skirts, pastel is celebrated because it can suit any woman. Certain pastel colors favor cool-toned women, while others favor warm-toned women. The fashion trend of pastel will perk up anyone who is longing for summer!

Allison is a senior at Emory University studying Journalism and the rather complicated major of Interdisciplinary Studies: Visual Studies and Contemporary Cultures. She is slightly obsessed with magazines and has written and edited for Her Campus since its start at Emory her freshman year. At Emory she can generally be found giving tours to prospies, hanging with her ADPi sisters, DJ-ing with WMRE and om-ing in yoga classes. Allison enjoys music, drawing, and fashion, and like most college students she is completely addicted to coffee. After graduation she wants to work in public relations or marketing, but her secret dream is to become Lena Dunham. Follow her on Twitter: @alldayallison