Paul Weinstein, Organizer of SOS Restaurant Crawl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Paul Weinstein, ’12, is the Emory student behind the highly anticipated Restaurant Crawl in the Virginia Highlands this Sunday, November 20th. For $10, those participating in the event will dine on small plates and appetizers from The Family Dog, Doc Chey’s, El Taco, DBA BBQ, Bella Cucina, Yeah!Burger, Genki, Moe’s and Joe’s, and Oster 832.
All the proceeds will be donated to Share Our Strength, a nonprofit organization that feeds children in America.

The website states, “In the world’s wealthiest nation, no child should grow up hungry. Over the course of a year, more than 17 million children in America cannot count on getting the food they need (US Department of Agriculture, “Household Food Security in the United States, 2009”). That’s almost one in four kids in America who struggle with hunger.”

Her Campus Emory sat down with Paul to learn a little more about the event.

Her Campus Emory (HCE):Why did you create this event?
Paul (P): For my social enterprise class at the b-school I am required to engage with a non-profit throughout the semester. I partnered with Share Our Strength because of their message and prominence in the food community. I became a University Ambassador for their new pilot program to engage college students. The goal for this semester was for each “ambassador” to plan an event that promotes Share Our Strength and raises money. I created the Restaurant Crawl because I wanted to plan something people would want to attend. It’s a great value for all the food you get and really supports an amazing cause.

HCE: Can you elaborate on your interest in hospitality and, in particular, the food industry?
P: Last summer I worked as a Hospitality Management intern for Shake Shack and fell in love with the industry. I enjoy sharing my passion for food with others – there is nothing better than an amazing meal. The restaurant crawl is a great opportunity for the Emory community to explore the diversity of nearby restaurants. It is important for us, as Emory students, to support local businesses and the participating restaurants have delicious food to offer.

HCE:What are your goals for the Restaurant Crawl?
P: My goal is to raise awareness of childhood hunger in the U.S. and raise money for Share Our Strength. Another goal is for the Emory Community to explore the participating restaurants on North Highland Avenue.

HCE: Can you give us a hint at what one of the appetizers might be?
P: The general manager of El Taco informed me that they will be serving their famous fried chicken taco!

Don’t forget to buy your ticket for the Restaurant Crawl! We’re so excited!
Take the No Kid Hungry Pledge here.