Passion Pit Prep: Everything You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This year–TODAY–SPC is bringing Passion Pit to campus for Fall Band Party! They will be performing right on McDonough Field and the concert is completely free. The timing couldn’t be more perfect! Midterms are finally winding down, and in case we didn’t get it all out of our system this past Halloween weekend, we have another great opportunity to have a fun night out this week! To make sure you have the best time possible at Passion Pit, here are a few things you should know before you go.

1. Go early!

There is a lot of hype about this concert. After SPC made the announcement, Twitter and Facebook blew up with posts from Emory students! That means this is clearly going to be a well-attended concert. Since it’s free, your chance of being able to actually get a good view depends on getting there early (unless you’re living in Fevans and you can experience the concert right out your window)! The concert is scheduled to run from 7-10 PM so plan on getting there 30 minutes ahead of time.

2. Know the Band 

If you’re already a Passion Pit fan, you probably can’t wait to hear their classics in person like “Sleepyhead”, “Take A Walk”, and “I’ll Be Alright”. If you’ve been living under a musical rock, look up a few songs of theirs on Youtube and get familiar! Their songs have been featured in lots of TV Shows like HBO’s “GIRLS,” MTV’s “Awkward,” and the CW’s “Gossip Girl”.

To get you pumped up, here are some of my personal favorites. Each song title is linked to the song on YouTube, so click away and jam out!

• Sleepyhead” – Their claim to fame. It was released as their first single in 2008 and is still played frequently! Countless numbers of DJ’s since have been making a crazy number of remixes of “Sleepyhead.”
  • Better Things” – This song got a lot of attention when Chiddy Bang sampled it and gave it a more fast-paced beat on his song “Truth.” 
  • The Reeling” – This song is awesome was released in 2009 and has an old school sort of feeling to it. Calvin Harris did an amazing remix of it!
  • Little Secrets” – One of their popular songs also released in 2009 off their first full album. If you’re obsessed with mashups like me, you may have heard it before on a White Panda mashup with ATL’s very own, T.I., called “What You Know About Little Secrets”
  • I’ll Be Alright” – Really fast-paced and really fun! (great workout song when you really need to get pumped up) 
  • Take A Walk” – This Billboard chart-topping song became an international hit! It’s their most widely played song on top radio stations.

Passion Pit is also known for making great remixes of other artists’ songs like “Heads Will Roll” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “1901” by Phoenix, and “Grenade” by Bruno Mars. 

3. What To Wear

Passion Pit’s music style is electro-pop/alternative, so for the concert, let your hipster flag fly with your favorite Urban Outfitters or Brandy Melville outfit. Try a pair of high wasted jean shorts or bright colored jeans paired with a flannel and a graphic T!  On your feet, ditch the heels and turn to your trusty Converse or TOMS; you want to be able to dance the night away! 

4. Register Your Guests

This concert is a great opportunity to have a friend from home, a brother/sister, or a prospective student visit Emory. Each Emory student can bring only 1 guest. Hopefully you’ve already registered already, because it closed last night at 10 p.m.! If you registered someone, you need to physically bring them to the DUC any time TODAY between 2 p.m. and 7 to get a wristband. SPC holds the right to cap off wristband distribution, so bring your friend to the DUC as soon as possible!

5. Get To Know the Opening Acts: Joy Formidable

Joy Formidable is an alternative rock band originally from North Wales, now relocated to the UK. It’s always fun to hear a new band for the first time, and possibly have a new favorite by the end of the night! Check out Passion Pit’s remix of Joy Formidable’s “Silent Treatment” to get a taste of this indie trio.

Have fun tonight everyone!!

Her Campus at Emory University