IMG 3604?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 3604?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Provided by Danielle Tullo

The Newest Quarantine Trend: Whipped Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you’ve been scrolling through the internet lately, you may have seen a video, article or post about whipped iced coffee that gained popularity on the Tik Tok app. It’s becoming a popular quarantine activity, and I’m going to give you all the information you need to try it out. 

First you may be wondering what is this new whipped coffee? The whipped coffee actually has a formal name, it’s called Dalgona Coffee. Dalgona coffee is basically like a reverse latte, instead of foaming milk, you whip coffee and sugar and pour it over your milk of choice. What do I need to make it?

The thing that’s made this so trendy is how easy and simple it is to make it. It’s equal parts sugar, instant coffee, and boiled water. The standard recipe being used is about 2 tablespoons of each ingredient to yield enough for two coffees. How long does it make? Here’s where the fun comes in, you have to whip it for about 10 minutes until the consistency changes from being watery to almost feeling like whipped cream or thick pudding. The color will also change into a light brown when it’s ready. You can make it easier to make by using a milk frother or electric whisk. Is there any way for me to switch it up? YES! Other people have actually used matcha powder instead because they don’t really drink coffee. Other ways you can switch it up is with the milk, you can use vanilla flavored milk, almond milk, oat milk, and personally I’ve loved using chocolate milk to make it more like a mocha flavor. Another way I’ve personally switched it up is by using less sugar, just because I do like a more prominent coffee flavor, so in the recipe I just use half the amount of sugar and it still whips up perfectly. Don’t forget you can sprinkle some cinnamon on top for additional flavor!

Frances is currently a sophomore at Emory University studying history and economics. She's interested in fashion and beauty, specifically skincare. When she's not in class or at work, you can typically find her studying at Starbucks.
Her Campus at Emory University