New York Fashion Week: A Look Ahead to Spring Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

With the end of New York Fashion Week comes the beginning of new spring trends for 2012. What’s hot for spring you might ask? Metallic, sporty, tropical prints, color block, and peplum are the emerging trends seen up and down the runways.

Metallics

The key to wearing metallics is letting them run the show, while keeping your hair, make-up, and accessories minimal. The dress on the left is perfect for special occasions. Keep your makeup and hair simple which will let the dress make its bold statement. On the right, the metallic green pants must be paired with a plain top in neutral colors, allowing the green pants to grab all the attention.

The dress was designed by Prabal Gurung, and the pants by Theyskens Theory.

Sporty

Want to look fabulous while still feeling comfortable? Now you can, as sporty is one of the emerging trends seen at New York Fashion Week. Try pairing something dressy with something casual, and you too can look like a supermodel.

The outfit on the left was designed by Altuzarra, and the outfit on the right by ADAM.

Tropical

Wish you could spend every day at the beach? While schoolwork inconveniently prevents you from going to the beach, you can still dress with the beach on your mind. Spice up your wardrobe this spring with brightly colored tropical patterns. Whether you buy a romper or a blouse, the tropical prints will add some color to your closet.

The romper on left was designed by Jason Wu, and the orange blouse on the right by Jill Stuart.

Color Block

Not only will tropical prints brighten up your wardrobe this spring, but the emerging color block trend will too. Neutral colors are being paired with bright colors to grab attention and add some life to style. These dresses are perfect for a formal.

On the left is a 10 Crosby designed by Derek Lam. On the right is a BCBG dress.

Peplum

Short overskirts and ruffles are back. Peplum is another great way to add color whether the entire ensemble is brightly colored, or a brightly colored peplum is paired with a neutral base. For all you girly girls out there, now you can wear a skirt over everything.

The dress on the left was designed by Anna Sui, and the dress on the right by Vera Wang.