This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

When facial oil first made its way into the spotlight, I was skeptical at best. I have pretty oily skin to begin with, so I’ve spent pretty much every waking minute since going through puberty trying to keep my face oil free. That includes carrying blotting pads with me everywhere, using mattifying sunscreen and foundation, and constantly trying to balance my makeup with the humidity, which only makes oily skin shinier. Granted, growing up in Florida made matters worse.   

And, of course, with oily skin comes lots of annoying acne, and boy did I have problems with that! It was at it’s worst in middle school, but it got better when my dermatologist prescribed me Accutane. Unfortunately, it never went away completely, and here I am, 22 years old, with some nice old adult acne. Of course, it’s never been as bad as it was before I went on Accutane, but acne during college was never part of my life plan, so every little bit was bothersome to say the least.

HOWEVER!!!! Then I tried facial oil! It was early January, right after Christmas, and right when the sales at Sephora were going down. I’d been hearing a lot of good things about facial oil, so I bit the bullet and decided to order some. I went with Youth to the People’s Superberry Hydrate and Glow Oil because I’ve already fallen madly in love with another one of their products (their Age Prevention Superfood Mask). Guys, I could not be happier with the results. I started using the oil instead of my regular moisturizer, and my acne has completely cleared up! Seriously! Not a pimple in sight! I even tested it and went back to my old moisturizer over spring break, and, you guessed it, I started breaking out again.

Let me be the first to admit that I have not done any proper research into why facial oil would work better than conventional moisturizers scientifically, but I can tell you that it worked for me! 

Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.