You’ve probably seen this light-green drink all over your Instagram feed, and it’s most likely accompanied by a metal straw: matcha! Why is everyone suddenly so obsessed with it, and how could it possibly rival coffee? I’ll tell you.
I used to be a hardcore coffee addict. Like, 6-cups-a-day-during-finals-addict. Over the summer, I decided to give matcha a try, mostly because that mint/pistachio color is so inviting and ~in~ right now. I had also just gotten into oat milk (separate article coming soon) so I got an iced oat matcha latte. I was blown away at how good it was, and had to double-check that they hadn’t added any sugar or sweeteners. Since then, I’ve basically had a matcha every day.
Benefits I’ve noticed:
1. Energy!! Unlike coffee, matcha gives you sustained energy without the jitters or the crash. It helps you stay focused so you can efficiently procrastinate all your homework! I’ve noticed this because I can have 2 cups of matcha a day and I won’t feel wired or strung-out.
2. Green tea is known for its digestive properties, and since matcha is basically a super-concentrated green tea powder, you get all the benefits in one yummy cup! It boosts your metabolism and is full of antioxidants so you’ll feel like a health kween when drinking it. While it won’t make you suddenly lose 10 pounds, it definitely curbs your appetite and speeds up your digestion.
Bonus: 3 reviews!
1. Starbucks Iced Matcha Latte with Skim Milk
This was actually pretty good. I was annoyed that their powder has sugar in it because that means it’s automatically sweetened, but still decided to give it a try. Also, Starbucks better get oat milk soon because I’m losing faith. The latte itself was pretty good, not too sweet and pretty light and foamy which I enjoyed. Would probably get this again if I felt like “treating myself” to a sugary matcha. Rating: 8/10
2. Kaldi’s Iced Oat Sweet Matcha Latte
While it’s listed on their menu as “Sweet Matcha Latte,” and I’m not a huge “sweet” girl, I knew I had to try it because I’m such a hoe for Kaldi’s. I usually hate when my matcha is sweetened, but this one wasn’t so bad! It was definitely sweet, but not too sweet. I got it with oat milk so it was super creamy which I love. I personally wouldn’t get it again because I don’t like sweet matcha, but I’d give it a 6/10.
3. Homemade Latte with Trader Joe’s Matcha Green Tea Powder and Oatly Oat Milk
Best for last! This is my FAVORITE. I make this almost every day in my dorm room. I just fill my (reusable!) water bottle about 3/4 of the way with oat milk, add the powder, and shake! While I feel guilty about using single-use packets, this one is definitely budget-friendly and so easy. It’s unsweetened, so there are no added calories besides whatever milk you choose. It has so much flavor–I never get tired of it. Rating: 11/10 (if we’re ever fighting, just make me one and I will immediately forget whatever I was mad about.)
Anyways, at this point I’ve done everything I can to convince you that matcha is superior to any other caffeinated beverages so…. Go order one and see what you think!!