Meet Ian Margol ’13, Orientation Leader and Activities Fair Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Emory Senior, Ian Margol, a Journalism and Sociology double major. This Cooper City, FL native, when he’s not working for CBS News, is welcoming freshmen to campus, training other students to be Orientation Leaders and organizing the start-of-year Activities Fair! We hear this celeb also gives pretty good advice on the ups and downs of college life, and he was a Campus Cutie (bonus points)!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): Why did you become an orientation leader?
Ian Margol (IM): Freshman year my OL was amazing and gave me such an incredible experience. Ever since then I’ve wanted to give back and try to give at least a few new students that same experience.

HCE: What is the job description for an OL Captain?
IM: OL Captains are in charge of the Orientation Leaders and orientation as a whole. Basically we spend months planning the week and selecting/training OL’s and then run our individual events and oversee the entire process.

HCE: Best part/worst part of orientation/being an OL?
IM: The best part about being an OL is seeing the impact that you can have on Emory and our community. It’s immediate and obvious and it’s a really rewarding thing to see. The worst part is probably the hours. We don’t sleep much but we’re always high energy and after a while it starts to catch up to you.

HCE: What is the best piece of advice you would give to freshmen (or have given to freshmen)?
IM: Experience Emory and take advantage of everything it has to offer. If there’s a class that you’re interested in, take it; if you don’t get the exact schedule you want the first time, it’s okay, you have 4 years to get all of your classes in. It all works out in the end. Keep an open mind and let yourself try things that you might not have otherwise had the chance to try. That’s how I became a journalism major and now I work for CBS News.

HCE: You’re also an activity fair coordinator. What exactly does that mean?
IM: Coordinating the Student Activity Fair basically meant that my captain partner and I got in contact with all of the sponsored/recognized clubs and organizations at Emory and offered them a chance to congregate in one place at the same time for new students to come and see them and so that they could recruit new members.

HCE: What are you looking forward to most this year at Emory? What will you miss most after graduation?
IM: That’s tough (laughs). I’m looking forward to all of the events we have, homecoming, Dooley’s week etc. I love those times because you get to see Emory spirit at its peak, something that I feel like we lack here sometimes. I’m going to miss everything. My time at Emory has been incredible and I’ve learned so much not just in my classes but from my friends and advisors. Atlanta is the best city in the world and I’m going to miss it every day.

Originally a New Jersey native, Emily now calls London, England home. She is a Creative Writing/English major and is a rowing, Grey's Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars enthusiast. 
Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).