Max Zoberman, Vice President of SGA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Max Zoberman, Vice President of the Student Government Association! Even if you haven’t actually met him, he is a familiar face on campus to many, often seen running from one activity to the next. A dedicated advocate for change, Max’s passion drives him to constantly think of ways Emory can better serve its students. Read on to learn more about Max and see how you can get involved in SGA!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): When did you get involved in Student Government, and why did you do so?

Max Zoberman (MZ): I got involved in SGA when I ran for sophomore class representative in the spring semester of my freshman year. I’ve always wanted to be involved in government. I spent the majority of my first year meeting people and learning about our school and found that I was spending so much time talking with people about how things could be or should be that at some point, it only made sense to help be part of solutions.

HCE: What are some other activities you’re involved in on campus?

MZ: So here’s the thing, I find it really difficult to say no to opportunities and there are so many opportunities on this campus. Besides the really amazing work and bodies my classmates have given me the chance to be a part of within the SGA, I’m an RA, I’m on the executive board of our Mock Trial team, I’m on the 1836 Dinner host committee, and I’m a brother of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.

HCE: What drove you to run for Vice President of SGA?

MZ: It was an honor serving in the legislature as a representative and I really enjoyed committee work. I was able to get a lot done in relatively little time, and being part of the contact sport of legislating was one of the best things I’ve ever gotten to do, but I found that I was working on so many meaningful initiatives that I was starting to develop a vision for the University at large and for it’s leadership. The opportunity to help shape a comprehensive direction, a full policy portfolio for the SGA is what drew me to the executive. I’ve been able to continue working on initiatives I care about while simultaneously expanding the list, and that’s something I would not have been able to do, physically or mentally, had I stayed in the legislature. To make it all happen, I needed a team, a partner in President Raj Tilwa, and the ability to delegate.

HCE: What are your goals as VP this year?

MZ: My goals are to make good on all of the things I promised the student body when I ran last year. I want to increase transparency and awareness to make sure students trust their government by publishing financials and descriptions of legislation before we vote every week, I want to keep working to bring Oxford and Atlanta campus together one step at a time, I want to open new lines of communication between divisional councils and governing bodies to make SGA as efficient as possible, I want to involve as many students as possible by urging legislators to talk to the classmates they represent and legislate what they want legislated, and most importantly for me, I want to keep working on initiatives I started over a year ago to make Emory the safest college campus in America. There is no reason why anyone should feel unsafe on Eagle Row, walking in Emory Village, or walking to their buildings on main campus, Clairmont campus, or Oxford campus. There is still work in progress and work to be done to make sure our students are safe and the issue of sexual violence is a tragic fact of the past.

HCE: Do you see yourself being involved in SGA next year?

MZ: Honestly, I just don’t know. I’m a student first and it may be that I need to take my last year to focus on classes and applying to Law School. If there’s any way to do that AND keep doing the work I’m passionate about on behalf of a school I love then yes, I can see myself being involved to the finish line. I’d like to be, but there are still decisions to be made between now and spring semester. Ask me again in 3 months!

HCE: What do you see yourself doing after college?

MZ: The plan, as of now, is Law School. I might travel a little bit, spend time with family, or try to find an internship before that, but eventually, Law School is the dream. 

HCE: How can students get involved in SGA this year?

MZ: Well, besides our Spring elections, there is really important committee and task force work to be done, and there should be more information about ways to be involved in those soon. We’re still putting together a final list of which initiatives may need a dedicated team and once we know, we’ll let everyone know!