This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Over the past couple of months we’ve seen plaid crop up on runways time and time again. From tweed Haute Couture at Chanel, to funky ponchos at Marc Jacobs, to classy coats at Rag & Bone, there has been no stopping this trend. That’s right, ladies; plaids are no longer just for farmers and schoolgirls!

For those of you who are feeling a bit wary about jumping right into the deep end with this trend, there are great ways to test the waters and dip just a few toes in. A huge street style trend right now is tying shirts around your waist as an accessory, and nothing does this trend better justice than a plaid shirt. This way, you’re still rocking the plaid, but it isn’t the sole focus of your outfit.

If you’re totally on board with this trend, like yours truly, feel free to take it a step (or five) further. Plaid pants are totally hot right now, and they are surprisingly easy to incorporate into outfits. Try darker colors like navies and greens for a modest look or go bold with reds and yellows. Don’t be afraid to throw a fun sweater on top like the one we see in the picture. Plaid works great with a loose pant as well, which is a great way to rock two trends at once. Fashionable and comfy? Sign me up!

Another way to go is a classic skirt or dress. Skirts with oversized sweaters are all the rage right now and a perfect way to style your plaid (tip: try a yellow plaid skirt with a navy blue sweater). Don’t be afraid to experiment because this print works on every texture and style imaginable. However, make sure whatever you’re wearing stays classy and elegant, because we’re shooting for fashion, not fetish.

If you’re a fashion daredevil, kick it up a notch. Plaid on plaid is the ultimate way to wear the print this fall. This look is tricky to pull off, though, so make sure when you’re matching your prints, you keep your color palette coordinated. It’ll help you keep those lines in check. Also be sure to keep the rest of your outfit subdued; plain accessories are key to pulling off a wild look.

Since this trend is so huge this fall, finding your perfect plaid piece should be a piece of cake. Happy hunting!

Photo cred goes to street style fashion bloggers We Wore What and Nette Nestea.

Her Campus at Emory University