sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Once reserved for hippies and free spirits, the maxi dress is having a major fashion moment this season. Breezy and elegant, a flowing maxi dress makes an impact on and off the red carpet. All maxi dresses aren’t the same– each one is as individual as the woman who wears it. The maxi dress is THE summer’s fashion trend. If you love to be called a fashionista, then your wardrobe must include the maxi dress to look chic, sexy and comfortable. This dress comes in a variety of styles that can be tailored for almost any occasion from casual to formal and even on the beach.

Celebs from Hailee Steinfeld to Leighton Meester are sporting floor-length frocks on the red carpet. To get the look, opt for a dress that either just grazes the floor or falls at the ankle–skirts that fall mid-calf can be unflattering. While maxis can be super chic, they can also be dowdy: Avoid the granny look by ensuring the bodice is formfitting or by choosing a dress with an unexpected plunging back or daring slit.

A maxi dress can be bolder with prints or tiny floral prints. Apart from floral which is a staple of dresses; you can choose those pieces with geometrical prints or abstract prints. Coil prints and plain pieces with delicate or prominent borders are also a hit amongst the maxi lovers. Plain dresses are the popular picks of those searching for evening dresses or beautiful wedding gowns.

The maxi dress offers a number of stylish necklines. The thin-strapped pieces with round or ‘V’ neckline look extra chic. Pick the halter styled maxi outfits in plain fabric, which are perfect for formal evening occasion. Strapless dresses are amongst the hottest picks. Sleeveless patterns with wide shoulders look classy and those with off shoulders are stylish. Empire waistlines are the basic feature of these dresses.

Due to the long dress that has a unique shape, which is not too tight or too loose – it is a perfect fit for almost any figure. If you’re more on the petite side, you need to be really careful with these dresses to avoid being swallowed up in fabric. Avoid an empire-waist style that flows away from your body with lots of ruffles. Stick to basic, form-fitting styles that accentuate your waist and don’t have too much excess volume. You can find great looking plus size dresses as well. Maxi gowns are also a hit amongst the would-be moms.

Maxi dresses are statement-making pieces all on their own. Let the dress be the focus. Maxi dresses are best paired with gladiator or high-heeled sandals, wedges and flip-flops. Add a few pieces of jewelry, such as bracelets and you’re ready for the day or evening! 

Allison is a senior at Emory University studying Journalism and the rather complicated major of Interdisciplinary Studies: Visual Studies and Contemporary Cultures. She is slightly obsessed with magazines and has written and edited for Her Campus since its start at Emory her freshman year. At Emory she can generally be found giving tours to prospies, hanging with her ADPi sisters, DJ-ing with WMRE and om-ing in yoga classes. Allison enjoys music, drawing, and fashion, and like most college students she is completely addicted to coffee. After graduation she wants to work in public relations or marketing, but her secret dream is to become Lena Dunham. Follow her on Twitter: @alldayallison