This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I know what you’re thinking. We are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic, insane election, and paying thousands of dollars for online teaching; looking pretty should be the least of our worries. But hear me out! Online school and quarantine suck a lot, but feeling good about the way you look during one of the few opportunities to interact with people can go a long way. Here are some of the ways I try to touch up before a Zoom class that make me feel better about keeping my camera on. 

1. Concealer is your best friend

Bear with me, I know everyone is in different parts of the world and classes can be at all hours of the day, so makeup is probably the last thing you want to do at 8:39 before your 8:40 class. However, I find that taking 30 seconds to put some concealer under my eyes or on stress-induced blemishes helps me feel more confident for any unexpected breakout rooms or presentations. 

1. Bronzer or blush to bring some color to your face

This sounds extra, but adding some depth to your face is one of the best ways to look a little better on camera without taking too much time. Any blush or bronzer that suits your skin tone and a fluffy brush will definitely help brighten your appearance and make you look more put together.

1. If the thought of makeup repels you, try a hydrating serum

Makeup isn’t for everyone, but skincare definitely is. Taking care of your skin is one of the best ways to feel better about yourself straight out of bed. For a little boost on lazy mornings, I like to apply a hyaluronic acid serum to make my skin more supple and glowy. 

1. Keep the sweatpants, ditch the stained t-shirt

I find that changing out of my pajama top and into something that is still comfy, but fresh, is a great way to start my morning. A more fitted t-shirt or a long sleeve with last night’s sweatpants is one of  my go-to’s. It’s a small step, but a fresh outfit can help you jumpstart your day!

1. Resist the urge to Zoom from bed

Trust me, I know as the weather gets cold and the semester drags on it can be harder and harder to get out of bed. But getting up and finding a separate space for school will help you focus. Even if that space is 3 steps away from your bedside, keeping school out of your bed will help designate your “on” and “off” spaces. 

Zoom school is tough, but taking little steps to feel better about yourself can go a long way. As someone who used to love dressing up for class and putting on a full face of makeup, it  can be easy to get alienated from the real world when you stay in your pj’s all day. Taking a minute to touch up will help you feel more motivated and present in class. 

Hi I'm Gracie! I'm a Sophomore at Emory University, and I'm from a small town outside Houston, Texas. I'm biracial, half-korean and half-white, and I am double majoring in History in the College and Consulting at Goizueta. I am also Pre-Law.
Mia is a senior at Emory University pursuing a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with a concentration in marketing. She has lived in Atlanta her whole life and loves experiencing the city as a college student. Mia loves romance books, listening to podcasts on walks, and time spent with friends and family.