Lauren Browning, Former President of the Intersorority Council

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Sorority recruitment has come to a close. On Sunday, the girls of Emory made their way to their respective sorority lodges, screaming, crying, and full of excitement. Meet Lauren Browning (’14), a member of  Kappa Alpha Theta, and the president of the Intersorority Council for this past year who led the female Greeks through a successful spring 2014 recruitment. With her guidance and work with the rest of the ISC board, she helped make this year’s recruitment one of the most successful. Read more to find out why! 

Her Campus Emory (HCE): Why did you decide to join a sorority?

Lauren Browning (LB): I decided to join a sorority for a couple of reasons. My mom and sister were in sororities and had amazing experiences, and I also wanted to get more involved on campus and meet new people.

HCE: How did you first get involved with the intersorority council? 

LB: I first got involved with ISC (we just renamed it the Panhellenic council to align more with other national Greek organizations) my sophomore year when I was the programming assistant. I saw a lot of potential for the Panhellenic council so I decided to run for president my junior year.

HCE: Why did you get involved? 

LB: OSFL (Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life) had just hired Megan Janasiewicz (who came from UGA), who had a lot of experience and great ideas. I knew that with her support the Panhellenic council could really set a solid foundation and grow on campus and be known for positive partnerships and programming on campus, as opposed to only being credited with recruitment.

HCE: What are some of your responsibilities as president? 

LB: My responsibilities are to advocate on behalf of the Greek community, which means I attend lots of meetings regarding Greek life or campus wide initiatives. I also help with programming and support all of my board members and the work they do. I am in constant communication with the chapter presidents as well as IFC (Interfraternity Council), MGC (Multicultural Greek Council) and NPHC (National Pan-hellenic Council). 

HCE: What are your goals for this coming year and how do you plan on reaching them? 

LB: As of today at 5:20 PM I am no longer ISC president. We have our officers transition meeting and Amanda Tendler is the new president. She has an amazing vision and executive board and will work off the foundation we set this past year. This year we successfully had study break dinners, the womens’ health and leadership forum, Greek Week, started the Greek Initiative against sexual assault and have many other partnerships and projects in the works. We also had the most potential new members go through recruitment that we’ve ever had thanks to the hard work of the board and Rebecca Rosen. I am so proud of the work we did and what we accomplished this past year.

HCE: What do you love about Greek life? 

LB: I love that Greek life at Emory is very different than the way it is at most other schools. It has such a strong presence on campus, and hopefully it will continue to evolve and be a positive force on campus.

Her Campus at Emory University