Kevin Wu – The Nest, ATeL Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If there’s one person every student at Emory knows, it’s Kevin Wu. Some might compare him to Tom from Myspace, as soon as you join an incoming Emory student page on Facebook, a friend request from Kevin Wu is sure to follow suit. From promoting clubs and bars to even opening his own, Kevin Wu is definitely a celebrity on Emory’s campus. His most recent accomplishment is opening The Nest, a bar/restaurant open seven days a week.

Kevin graduated from the Goizueta Business School, where he majored in Information Systems and Operations Management.

Wu was approached by a couple of his Sigma Nu fraternity brothers to be a part of a company they were putting together called ATeL Events (the one we all know and love now).

“At the time, the party scene at Emory was run by a company called Misedukated…we thought we could do it better,” Wu said.

The group started to throw parties called 42 Tuesdays, which Wu Co-DJ’d with a friend at what was then Moya (now The Nest). Kevin’s big break came when ATeL Events promoted the 2009 Bid Night Party at Opera.

After he graduated, Kevin put all his time and energy into ATeL Events, putting together an investment deal to buy a bar.

“It was always my dream to turn Moya into something awesome,” Wu said. “I saw so much promise in its location, and from throwing parties there, but it needed a good deal of work.”

The deal worked out. As Kevin puts it, “I guess the business school is good for something!”

The inspiration for The Nest is a combination of all of Kevin’s favorite experiences.

“I opened The Nest because I love Atlanta, but after seeing bars and nightclubs all over, I wanted to bring my favorite ideas from all my experiences to my alma mater’s doorstep,” Wu said. “I also loved the idea of the bar being my office. Interacting with people and being able to do so on an every day basis is a dream.”

Kevin described the process of opening The Nest as “the most intense business school project ever.” It was stressful yet fun, and included everything from planning the building, managing the inspections, and even developing the menu.

A sign for the front of the building is coming soon, but Emory students don’t need any help finding this place. From a restaurant that will accept the Emory Card by the end of the month to a bar that serves fishbowls and beer tubes instead of cocktails and pitchers, it’s no secret The Nest is already giving Maggie’s a run for its money.

The Nest is open 7 days a week to all ages until 11pm when it turns into a bar. So whether you’re underage or 21+, you can be sure you’ll have a good time at The Nest, because no one knows Atlanta nightlife quite like Kevin Wu.