This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The recent pandemic has put many of us in difficult situations. College students are facing a rather unique situation in which many of us are not only having to learn online, but have had to be relocated due to campuses shutting down. This has separated many of us from our learning environments, our friends, our significant others, and basically any sense of normalcy that we may have had before.

Difficult times are easier to overcome if you have a support group, whether that be friends, family, or your significant other. This can be hard while trying to follow social distancing rules by staying 4-6 feet apart from others, and with some people quarantined in complete isolation. I have compiled a list of ideas so you can get your needed social interaction in, while being smart and staying home. These are all simple ideas that require only a Zoom account and an internet connection.

1. Netflix and Chill

Movie nights with friends are always a great way to just relax and hangout. While this might not be ideal due to inability to cuddle, it is a great alternative. There is an extension you can download on Google Chrome called Netflix Party. It synchronizes video playback and has a group chat function so you can chat during the movie as well. While everyone in the group will need access to a Netflix account, the extension itself is free.

2. Virtual Picnic

Quarantine can lead to a lot of insanity. Not leaving your home for weeks on end can induce a bit of cabin fever, and one of the best ways to combat that is getting outdoors. As long as you avoid others, you can still go outside while following social distancing. Pack some snacks, download Zoom, and have your friends do the same. Set up a picnic outside — this can be done in your backyard or a nearby park or even your bedroom floor if you can’t leave. Set up a Zoom call and enjoy the company of your friends.

3. Cards Against Humanity

There are a few websites that allow you to play CAH online, but my favorite is Pretend You’re Xyzzy. While it doesn’t have the most attractive user interface, it allows you to play with up to 20 players and there is a chat function as well. The best part is the ability to add your own customized cards. Using a website called CardCast, you can add personalized cards that could include inside jokes within your friend group and make the gameplay even better. I would also recommend doing a video call on Facetime or Zoom. While the game includes a chat function, the ability to talk and laugh together can really make the game.

4. Zoom Happy Hour

I don’t know about everyone else, but I desperately miss the bottomless mimosa brunches and wine nights with friends. With the situation at hand, they seem even more needed than usual. We don’t have to let this quarantine keep us from getting a much needed happy hour in with friends. Make sure everyone has their drink of choice in hand, and start zoomin’.

5. Fancy Dinner

Maybe we all need an excuse to put on a bra and change out of sweatpants. Actually getting out of bed and getting ready for the day can do wonders for your mental health. Plan a dinner with friends, *virtually* of course, and have everyone actually get ready. You could put on a nice outfit you’ve never had the opportunity to wear, put on jeans for the first time in weeks, or even change into new pajamas — as long as you get ready and feel good about it. Then everyone eats dinner together like normal, whether it’s macaroni or a steak dinner.

Alissa is currently a junior at Emory University double majoring in sociology and film studies. If she isn't in front of her laptop in a Zoom lecture, you can probably find her eating Flamin' Hot Cheetos or watching movies under a 25 lb blanket.