How To Go Bra Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Watching the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show last week really made me think. Granted, the show made me
contemplate getting a punch card at the WoodPEC and actually putting it to use. Yet, watching the unbelievably sexy Angels strutting along to “Moves like Jagger” in their glamorous and intricately designed barely-there ensembles directed my mind towards a partitular topic… boobs.

We Collegiettes™ all have ‘em.  We may wish they were bigger, smaller, perkier, you name it… but in the end, we all are looking to put our best chest forward and work what our mammas (in varying amounts of generosity) gave us!

So while gazing at my 24 inch dorm-room television set, I realized that if Victoria’s Secret sees it fit to invest $2.5 million in the Fantasy Treasure Bra, donned by the spectacular, new-mum Miranda Kerr—then we should really begin to take more pride in how we adorn our own, slightly less famous, cleavage. Collegiettes™, I’m talking bras.

Finding the right bra size is essential to looking and feeling your best. Estimates are that about 80% of ladies
unknowingly wear the wrong size. I sincerely recommend making time over our month-long winter break to visit the lingerie section of your favorite big department store in order to be professionally measured and make sure your two girls are being taken care of. Clear an afternoon, maybe even a whole day, and take the time to go bra shopping—finding the right fit and feel should not be rushed. Give your ta-tas some respect and take the time to try on different styles and sizes.

It should be mentioned that bras are measured by band size and cup size. The band size is the number part
printed on the tag by the clasp, the one that our gentlemen friends can never quite seem to figure out. The cup size is the letter part. Remember, all styles of bras will fit a bit differently so you may not wear the same size bra across brands. Be sure to bring an assortment of sizes, materials, and shapes into the dressing room—I’m sure we have all experienced that dreaded moment when you realize you left the proper size out in the maze of metal racks.

Just like shoes, a bra varies in purpose depending on the outfit or occasion. All Collegiettes™ need the essentials: a classic nude bra, a black bra with a bit of sex appeal, a comfortable strapless bra, and a fun colored lace bra within the lingerie repertoire. However, it is a personal belief of mine that the only place a nude bra really belongs is beneath a white shirt…