How to Enjoy the World Series…Or At Least Pretend to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year of again. Some of you may have absolutely no idea what I am even talking about, but that’s okay. For those who are aware, it’s obviously time for the World Series to begin. Yes, I’m talking about the infamous baseball series that will determine the champion of Major League Baseball (MLB). The final show-off will be between one team from the American League and one from the National League.

For those already rooting for your favorite team or who are just up-to-date with the teams and their standings, you’re probably just ready to enjoy the games and track every detail of the plays. You are intrigued, excited and hopeful that only the “best” may win.

Yet, some of you may not really be interested in the true details of the game. But, who cares? You still want to (and can!) get in on all of this hype you have been surrounded by for the past few weeks.

First things first, have a viewing party. Let’s be real—you definitely do not want to watch these games alone, regardless of whether you’re a die-hard baseball fan or not. Having all your friends with you will keep you company over those long few hours you may spend in front of the TV. If you’re a baseball expert, you can teach the tricks to your friends who may not be as informed about what’s happening in the game.

Also, having your friends over will serve as good bonding during commercial breaks and also during the game itself. You can talk about whatever’s going on for as long as you need. Since you might just be watching the game for the experience, no need to be concerned if you miss a small play or an out. After all, the winning team is all that really matters in the end!

If this all wasn’t enough, you and your friends could even get a little spirited to watch the game; it’s time to buy some cute spirit gear and look like a true fan. That being said, you can also take some cute pictures in your new clothes and maybe even snag a cute Instagram with your friends, totally fooling your followers into thinking you actually care about sports.

Of course, a huge part of the viewing party is the food. You can’t forget about the snacks! To make things a little festive, try coordinating your snacks with the colors of the teams. Think about getting some M&Ms or Jelly Beans for the teams playing the game you are watching. Also, consider serving some real food like hot dogs, popcorn, cracker jacks and ice cream if you’re really looking to get the full game experience.

If you’re up for some more social media posts to go along with the spirit scene, try a throwback picture of you and your favorite mascot when you were little or a picture of you and your family at an old game. I mean, who doesn’t love a little baby picture with someone like Mr. Met?

Whether you’re a true fan or not, the World Series is certainly something not to miss. With these tips and tricks, you can make it the best viewing experience yet! So sit back, get spirited, and enjoy the games!

Her Campus at Emory University