How To Be ~Cooler~ Than The Rest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: #formalszn! For those of you ladies heading to a frat formal in these next few weeks, it’s time to get your Picasso on and make your date an incredible cooler that he can show off to his friends. If you’re looking for some inspo, that’s what we’re here for. Check out these designs for some foolproof ways to make sure that your date’s cooler is, well…. the coolest. 

1. The Patagonia Theme

Patagonia has become a signature arsty cooler design. The logo is fun and gives you a lot to work with, meaning there are ample ways to incorporate this theme into your cooler. Whether you decide to totally hack this “Fratagonia” idea or just paint the logo inside your date’s name, this is a classic way to add an aesthetically pleasing design to your cooler. 

(Cooler Creds: Adee Jakob)

2. The Favorite Drink

Asking your date what his favorite drink is makes for an easy way to cover one side of the cooler. As fancy as this example looks, it’s simpler than you think: just modge-podge it! Considering the cooler will be filled with drinks, it’s only fitting that you dedicate a side to it anyway, right? 

(Cooler Creds: Sam Lutt)

3. The “Bagels and Lox, My Cooler Rocks” Theme 

Given that some frat formals fall on Passover, why not incorporate some Jewish pride into your cooler? We go to a school with one of the largest Jewish populations in the country, so you won’t be the only one to appreciate this. It’s funny, unique, and sure to make a statement. 

(Cooler Creds: Pauline Wizig)

4. The TV Show Theme

Netflix and chill pretty much defines our generation at this point, so it’s only natural to incorporate a TV show theme into your cooler. Whether or not you go with this Central Perk theme, be sure to pick a show concept that most people will recognize to get some killer compliments on your cooler and creativity. 

(Cooler Creds: Rachel Sirotkin)

5. The Location Theme

Plain and simple: where are you going? Make it into a postcard theme or do something about the beachy atmosphere to give credit to the location that you’re spending this incredibly fun weekend at. 

(Cooler Creds: Lori Linkewer) 

No matter what themes you choose to go with, have fun with it! Let your creative side come out and do something fun in order to stand out. More importantly, enjoy formal!