Culture > News

How am I supposed to focus on my schoolwork when I am this mad and scared?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This week, I heard about Sarah Everard in London, and now Anti-Asian violence happens here in Atlanta. Earlier this year with Breonna Taylor and George Floyd as well…

How are you supposed to focus on Chemistry when you are afraid for your life? After hearing about Sarah Everard, I was afraid for my own life each time I walk home alone, and I’m a white woman. I can’t even begin to imagine what it feels like to be a POC in America, and how increasingly scary it must be to be a woman of color in America. 

Reach out to your friends of color and female friends all weeks, but this week especially. 

Emory community, I want to be there for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do, whether that is helping to bring you groceries so that you can stay safe in your home, setting up meetings over zoom meant for studying so that we can try to keep up with our work even though the fear makes it hard to focus, or anything else.

I am currently a sophomore at Emory majoring in English and Biology! I also run the hurdles for Emory's track team. When I'm not running or studying, I enjoy hiking, reading or listening to almost every genre of music.
Mia is a senior at Emory University pursuing a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with a concentration in marketing. She has lived in Atlanta her whole life and loves experiencing the city as a college student. Mia loves romance books, listening to podcasts on walks, and time spent with friends and family.